Chapter 6

I shifted uncomfortably throughout the plane journey. He didn't mean anything by squeezing my thigh, it was a friendly gesture but nevertheless one that made me feel uncomfortable. I made an excuse to move seats and instantly felt a little better, still knowing that we would be staying in the same house tonight made my heart pound.

As the plane landed I felt a sudden rush of relief. The sooner we get out of here and to the university the better because hopefully, that will take my mind off of my discomfort. Once we exit the airport I see Dominic wave over a taxi which he immediately walks to and opens the door. I know this move all too well, he is waiting for me to enter first. Whether this is just a kind gesture or not I pretend to be completely oblivious and walk around the car, open the door and slip inside.

I can tell Dominic is a little taken back but he quickly recovers and slips into the car and thankfully there is a seat left free between us.

"Which University is it we are going to?" I ask realising he hasn't told me that information either.

"NYU," he states clearly annoyed but I don't press into the matter mainly because I am not his mother so there's no need for me to ask. I can't believe we are going to NYU, I haven't been back there since I graduated a few years ago so I guess that's one good thing to come out of this spontaneous trip.

We arrived at NYU just after lunch time, Dominic told me to grab something to eat as he had something to sort out with the chancellor. I was thankful that I would have some time to myself while I'm here even if it is only for work. I walked about a mile to a small cafe I always passed but only ever ate in here once.

I pushed the door open and heard the familiar sound of the bell. A girl stood behind the counter and looked up at me, "what can I get you?" She asked.

"Do you work here?" I say taking in her appearance, she is wearing a police officer's uniform.

"It's my parent's place," she confirms and I tell her my order. I sit at a table by the window and wait for my sandwich. After a few minutes, she walked over to the table with my food. The food tastes great and I immediately regret not coming in here more often when I was still at college.

Outside the shop around 5 or 6 guys were walking down the sidewalk mouthing off. I rolled my eyes and tried my best to concentrate on my food. I jumped slightly as one of the boys banged on the window and held up a piece of paper with a phone number on and made a phone gesture with his free hand.

My eyes darted to the culprit and then to the others in the group. One caught my eye specifically, his back was turned to the window as if he didn't want anything to do with the rowdiness. I pushed my chair out and stood keeping an eye on the boy with the phone number out of the window, he must think I'm coming outside to talk to him. Instead, once I get outside I walk straight past him hearing a huh and tap the boy with his back to the group on the shoulder.

"Quit it will you, I already told you it's a stupid idea." He said and tried to shrug my hand off of his shoulder.

"Yeah it is kind of pathetic," I agree. He turned around mouth wide open and scooped me up in his arms hugging me.

"I've missed you so much!" He grinned as he set me back down.

"I've missed you too, Jack," I smiled.

"What are you doing back in New York?" He asked being completely oblivious to his friends gaping at our interaction. Although I wasn't unaware of the looks they were giving us.

"Can we go inside?" I whispered.

"Guys, you go back to campus I'll catch up later yeah?" Jackson told them and followed me inside. He sat opposite me at the table. "So you back for good?"