Chapter 46: Adam's Demise

Start from the beginning

"Why?" She appeared too calm, like she'd expected him to say that.

"Because, to put it simply, I don't want to marry you Maggie." There was a tension in the air.

"See, the thing is Adam, I need your family wealth. So... sign this binding piece of paper and I'll let you go free."

"You're delusional." Adam raised his voice slightly, frustration rang in his ears.

"I'm not though. I had a plan and my ploys failed. It's your turn to face the heat, don't worry we can divorce."

"I don't understand."

"You're not stupid Adam. Of course you understand. Sign the damn thing!" Magdalene shouted, placing a pen in his locked up hands.

"No, now let me go." He glared at her now. The dangerous glint in his eye would scare a room, except he would be scarier if he wasn't tied down. Magdalene simply stared at him.

"You're wrists are cuffed to a chair that is cemented to the floor. Even if you wanted to, you can't get up. Sign the paper and I'll let you leave unscathed."

"Mags, if you needed money, you could've just asked me. You didn't have to do all this."

"Don't you understand how much shame that would bring my whole family?" She stepped closer to him, pulling a knife out of her boot. "Sign the paper Adam"

"Mags, you don't need to turn to violence."

"Adam. My mother will disown me if I don't marry you. Please just sign the damn papers."

"No Maggie. I can't do that." His mind wandered to Eleanor, her bright eyes twinkling in his mind.

"This is just so cyclical," Laci glared at the two of them, "why don't you just forge his signature."

"Because if authorities look into it, it won't be accurate to his, they could arrest me." Magdalene said, her eyes not leaving Adam's.

The sun was beginning to set and the 2 small windows didn't help to retain any of the light in the empty warehouse.

"Mags, if you need money," he said again, "just ask me for it." He attempted to stand up but was immediately pushed back into the chair by the wrist constraints.

"Adam! Just sign the papers and I'll let you go, otherwise I'll have to take this up another level!" She glared at him, bringing the knife close to his wrist. His eyes widened as the blade bit into his skin. He sat silently staring at the blood escape his wrist. "If I moved that blade an inch, I could've hit a very important vein." Maggie's eyes were wild as she looked at her hand, she wondered what she'd just done as Adam but his lip, attempting to conceal the pain he felt. Blood covered the cuff on his wrist as he looked at Maggie.

"Maggie, I don't understand why you think you had to do this." He said, his voice obviously strained.

"Adam. It was clear it wasn't working out between us. You never said you loved me. You never were even willing to sleep with me." Maggie declared as Laci stood silently.

"What role are you playing in this Laci?" Adam turned to her, "why are you doing this?"

"Maggie made a deal with me. And I intend to hold that true."

"However much she said she would pay you, I can pay double the amount."

"It wasn't money, Adam." She said shyly, looking away as she watched the blood drip from the chair onto the rusted hay-covered ground.

"Whatever it was, I can do it for you instead." Adam pleaded. Laci stepped back, just as Adam was about to ask her, his jaw got pulled in the direction of a dangerously close Maggie.