Chapter 12

The minute my body lands on top of Caspar's, he stiffens in immediate alert as he tries to stand up.

"You and me need to talk." I say quickly as I wrap my arms and legs around his frame. We'd grappled enough times in the past that I knew exactly how to keep him down. He knew that too, but that didn't stop him from fighting back.

It'd been two weeks since Caspar and I had been separated in the woods. Two weeks since I was attacked by my mate. Two weeks where I'd been living in bliss while Caspar was suffering with guilt.

I'd tried to corner him numerous times but he always ran away. He didn't even sleep in my room anymore. I knew he blamed himself for me getting hurt and that he took it way harder than he should, but he needed to understand it really wasn't his fault.

But Caspar had always been stubborn and well, desperate times called for desperate measures. 

So yeah, maybe I stalked him for half a day until he was at his most vulnerable. And yeah maybe I attacked him like a maniac, but I did it all out of love.

I needed my best friend back and I wasn't going to let him run away again without a fight.

"Caspar!" I shout when he begins rolling with me still on his back. "Will you just listen to me?!"

He ignores my pleas and continues fighting against me. Playing dirty and tumble rolling all along the dirt. 

"It wasn't your fault." I say heavily as he places all his weight onto me. "It was mine. I wandered off like an idiot. You did nothing wrong."

He doesn't reply.
Small growls of aggravation being the only sound to leave his large jaws as he continues to squirm in my grasp.

"I was hurt for a bit and I know that sucked, but I'm fine now." I promise earnestly. "I'm okay Caspar. It's okay."

He stops at this.
His body coming to a standstill as his heavy heart thumps against his broad, furry chest.

It's not okay Levi - He replies after releasing a laboured breath. Nothing that happened to you was okay.

I digest his words for a moment before loosening my hold on him, allowing him to slide away from me. He doesn't run away like usual, he just stands with his head downcast. His eyes refusing to meet mine but I don't push him. Instead, I sit up and wait for him to continue.

I searched for you for hours - He starts, his voice strained with noticeable agony. I went further than either of us had even been in those woods looking for you. I didn't let myself rest for one second because I couldn't stand the thought of anything happening to you - He reveals, the pain in his tone so loud my heart ached in its place.

When the sun started to come up and I still hadn't found you. I went back to the pack for help....but they had already found you - His eyes meet mine and I can't ignore the water swelling in them. (A.N. I don't know if animals can cry, let alone jaguar but like this one does soooo yeah) You have no idea how it felt to see you like that..... covered in wounds with needles hooked to you. The whole family sitting at your side, everyone in pain because I messed up.

"You didn't m-"

I did - He says with a bit of frustration in his defeated tone. I'm the reason you got hurt. I should've never left you alone! They told me to never leave your side and I did!