Chapter 10

Isn't he so precious ❤

--------

Feral Child
A child that has been isolated from society at a very young age. They have little to no experience with human contact, care, behavior and/or language. 

I scrolled down from the the search bar of my laptop for before clicking on the images tab. Hundreds of pictures of dirtied, small children pop up, consuming my entire screen. I click one, and then the next, and then another.

Their clothes were sparse or non-existent, faces and frames mudded. They walked on all fours and were almost always photographed in the woods. Those were the main factors that linked all the images that popped up. They were also all the factors that applied to J.

Is this what J was?
It was the best thing I could find to make sense of his situation.

But my mate wasn't a child; he was a grown man. I knew that. I did.
But after spending an entire night trying to find an explanation for his lack of language skills and common abilities, like walking, a feral child was about all I could come up with.

It was the only thing that made sense. Though it just added a million more  problems of an already problematic equation.

How did you become one?
What kind of pack abandoned him as a pup?
How old was he when it happened?

I sigh as I close my laptop and slide down my bed. Intertwining my fingers over my chest, I stare at the ceiling with a buzzing mind.
My ears twitch slightly from the sound of faint laughter that echoed throughout the house. Tonight was movie night and despite my family's insistant begging, I couldn't bring myself to join them.

I should tell them-
Tell them I found my mate, and that he was everything I wanted in a mate and more.

Tell them that he wasn't like what we had believed him to be. He wasn't a beast. He wasn't a wild animal. He didn't attack senselessly. He was just a little lost and confused, and had been for a long time.

Tell them that he was mine and that I didn't care if they hated it. I would never leave him.

But none of that would matter.
In their eyes, he'd still be a rogue.

Best case scenario: my parents would be happy that I found my mate and only a little ticked that it was the thing they hated the most. But they'd try to accept it, because they love me.
They'd want to see him one day and I'd introduce them to J. Dad would try, and fail, to be cool but would eventually go all Alpha. Julian would hold him back and I'd hold back J. And somehow, we'd make it out alive.

Worst case... and most probable scenario:
My dads would be ecstatic that I finally found my mate. They'd be thrilled and cheering and they'd tell the entire pack. Then they'd find out what he was. Julian would be reasonable, Po- not so much. Our relationship would change. Po'd tell me my mate is a rogue and he hated rogues. And even if I somehow managed to keep him from attacking my mate, the pack would. And we'd never have a moment of peace.

So when I weighed out my options, there was only one real solution- keep my mate away from the pack until I came up with a better solution.

My phone beeps on my nightstand and I lazily stretch my arm across to grab it. I smile slightly at the name that pops up on my screen accompanied by a quivering phone requesting permission for a call.

"Hey Sam." I answer bringing the device to my ear.

"Hey Wolfie." She replied with a tone so cheerful my chest lightens slightly. "How you holding up?"