CHAPTER-3

Rose P. O. V

I sighed and started," Three years ago, Rayder and I were best friends,"

"Best friends, but how?" She asked me with a shocked face and I was lost in my thoughts.

Three Years Ago......

In that heat, I could have barely formulate a thought. There was no cooling breeze or cloud to block the high August sun. I curled my fingers around the thin fabric of my top, waving it in and out to create just a little air flow, but that's not enough, like an ice cube into hot soup. He's late, again.

"Sorry, I am late again" Rayder,coming by my side, replied while trying to control his breathing.

"Oh really,...why am I not surprised?" I replied making my face as dramatic as possible.

"You know my mom, Rose," He replied.

"Yes. Yes. Come on, we will get late," I replied.

Each year I wore the same shoes just for this journey. Once white they were now rusty brown with dust and the soles were as worn as my own. The laces trailed on the ground, over-long as they were and frayed like some old goat-tether. With each step, I watched the lace flop in its random pattern, random and predictable at the same time.

I watched my feet take steps across the glossy tiles, my dusty canvas shoes next to the shined pointed-toe leather shoes of passing students.

"What happened?" Rayder said as he noticed that I stopped walking.

The fear sat on me like a pillow over my mouth and nose. Enough air got by it, allowing my body to keep functioning, but it was crippling all the same.

"Nothing," I said with a smile.

He also returned me the smile and said, "let's go,"

I nodded and looked upwards. The wind howled as the students arrived through the gates, hustling and bustling down the corridors. Friends were greeting each other with a hug or a playful punch while newcomers stood looking scared. The seniors stood, tall and proud, a confidence born of experience.

The hall was crowded with people, and the chaos was so perfect, like a movie. There was the couple that was always making out on the left side of the hall, and about ten feet farther down, the cliquey girls. Opposite them, the cliquey jocks, and between them, the parade of band geeks with their huge instrument cases. There were the aerospace tech kids who never did anything but make paper aeroplanes and the fashion kids that wheeled mannequins and clothing racks down the halls. And then there was me, I don't fit into any of those groups.

We both were walking towards our class but somehow I bumped into the couple that was making out, one of them being my classmate, Autumn, I said, "I am really sorry, it was unintentional,"

"Shut up beggar! We don't want you here, get lost," She replied.

"Don't talk to her like that!" Rayder shouted.

"Come on Rayder, she doesn't belong here. What are you doing with her? You should be with us," She replied as sweet as possible.

"Shut up!" and her face fell, "She is my best friend," he replied, taking my hand in his and started taking me away from them.