Chapter 53 - Where it ends

"And now we're gonna kill them."

If there were monsters in the room, Kate was one of them. Allison could only watch in horror as her aunt readied her weapon, bringing a loaded gun against Scott's forehead without the slightest hint of remorse. In fact, she looked like she was enjoying herself, like she was convinced she was doing the world a favor by ridding it of an innocent teenager.

"Kate? Kate, what are you doing?"

Allison's voice trembled, and she spoke with obvious fear and betrayal. Her eyes were wide, her features frozen in shock at her aunt's actions. Kate shot her an annoyed glance, as if the situation was self-explanatory; and it was, but this was one of the times when seeing something and believing it was actually happening were two entirely different things.

"Such lovely brown eyes," was Kate's only reply as she peered down at Scott.

She was going to do it. She was going to pull the trigger on her niece's first love, right in front of her. It was in this moment that Allison knew she had been wrong all along, and Scott was about to pay the price of her mistake.

"Kate!" Chris Argent's voice resonated in the empty space, bringing the woman to freeze. "I know what you did. Put the gun down."

Chris barged into the room as he spoke, shoving the door aside with a weapon in his hands. Allison would have been relieved to see him if he hadn't looked so determined, not sparing her a glance as his entire focus was on Kate. If she was uncertain regarding his alliances and beliefs, she had her answer right away. The moonlight reflected on the gun between his fingers, a gun that he pointed straight at his sister.

"I did what I was told to do," Kate simply stated, her tone even.

"No one asked you to murder innocent people. There were children in that house, ones who were human," Chris countered, revealing that he too finally knew the truth about the Hale fire. "Look what you're doing now. You're holding a gun at a sixteen-year-old boy with no proof he spilled human blood. We go by the code. Nous chassons ceux qui nous chassent."

"We hunt those who hunt us," Allison translated, her eyes brimming with tears of relief that her father was back on her side.

"Put the gun down before I put you down," he hissed, his steely eyes not leaving Kate. 

Tension was palpable as the threat hung in the air, and all eyes were on Kate. Scott could hear his own blood rushing through his veins, he could feel every vibration that his thumping heart sent through his ribcage, he could sense how cold the air was against his burning skin, yet this was nothing compared to the gun that was pressed against his forehead. The metal dug into his skin, and the pressure it created grabbed all his attention. 

He was painfully aware that his fate rested solely in Kate's bloodstained hands. Behind him, Derek was on his knees, pained grunts leaving his throat whenever he tried to move; behind Kate, Allison was struggling to stand on shaky legs, her hands barely holding her bow anymore. His last hope was Chris, but if Kate decided to pull the trigger, it would still be the end. 

With the seconds turning into hours, Scott closed his eyes and focused on his breathing. Inhale, exhale, like he used to do when he had an asthma attack and left his inhaler at home. The pressure on his forehead lessened. He could feel that Kate was trembling, but when a sickly scent reach his nostrils, he knew that his chances of survival had dropped again. He felt Peter's presence well before the hunters, like something pulling him towards his Alpha no matter how he felt about it. 

Sensing the proximity of their Alpha, both werewolf had instinctively frozen into place, making the hunters wary. Red eyes appearing through the fog were the first thing the Argents spotted, and then Scott was no longer the only one to be terrified. Scott opened his eyes, ignoring the familiar burning sensation that came with shifting. The Argents took a step back from the door, Allison looking around like a lost deer, staring straight at the glowing red eyes.