Chapter 3 - The Girl who didn't have a pen

After a restless night, Scott McCall woke up to a pain in his side. He sighed, his hope that it all had been a nightmare crushed. He got up, trying to psych himself up for a new school year. He was excited to go back to Beacon Hills High School, not because of the classes he would attend but because he would see his friends again and play lacrosse. Full of hope for the new year, Scott quickly got ready, catching a light breakfast before hopping on his bike and cycling to school.

The high school stood atop a small hill. Its brick walls held crowded hallways, identical classrooms and rows of aligned lockers. Just behind the main building was the lacrosse field. The place was ready to welcome students for the first day of the school year. Scott was currently on his bike, trying not to bump into any of his classmates as he reached a bike rack. He had his lacrosse equipment with him and, although he was feeling tired from his night in the woods he was looking forward to the lacrosse practice. He was securing his bike when a Porsche parked next to him.

Jackson Whittemore was driving it, and he had no love for Scott McCall. He was also captain of the lacrosse team and he did not hesitate to use his position to make Scott's life miserable. The handsome but arrogant teen opened his car door, purposely letting it bump into Scott. He got out of his car, his light grey eyes fixed on Scott as he spat, "Dude! Watch the paint job."

Dumbfounded, Scott could only blink in response. Thankfully Jackson was called elsewhere and left the other teen alone. As Scott was turning to walk inside the school, he heard Stiles calling him. The two of them had exchanged a few texts before meeting at school so Stiles knew about the bite.

"Alright, let's see this thing," the hyperactive kid instructed. Scott complied, lifting his shirt to reveal a rather impressive bandage covering his wound. Stiles whistled, clearly his friend hadn't been lying about the incident. Not wanting to attract too much attention on the first day, Scott was quick to hide the bandage again.

"It was dark, but I think it was a wolf."

"A wolf bit you? No, not a chance. California doesn't have wolves" Stiles answered, unknowingly repeating Jamie's words from the night before.

"But I was sure I heard a wolf howling!" Scott countered, shaking his head. Knowing that Stiles wouldn't change his mind, he decided to drop the topic. "Well, if you don't believe me about the wolf, then you're definitely not gonna believe me when I tell you I found the body."

"You what? Are you kidding me?" Stiles exclaimed, his eyes widening and his arms flailing around in excitement.

"I wish. I'm gonna have nightmares about it for a month!"

"That's freaking awesome," Stiles grinned, disturbingly unfazed at the thought of the dead body. "This is seriously the best thing that happened to this town since... forever!"

As the friends turned around to finally enter the school, a strawberry blonde girl walked past them, only acknowledging their existence by a glance.

"Hey, Lydia, how are you? You look... like you're gonna ignore us. Again," Stiles sighed, disappointed at the school queen's behavior. Scott just laughed at his friend's demeanor, knowing this was to be expected when dealing with Lydia Martin.

"Come on, Scott, she's dating our best friend, she could at least say 'hi'!" Stiles protested at Scott's laugh. "You're the cause of this, you know. Dragging me down to your nerd depth. I'm a nerd by association. I've been Scarlet-nerded by you," the kid kept rambling.

"Speaking of our best friend, where's Jamie?" Scott asked, completely ignoring Stiles' monologue -- he was used to his constant blabbing.

"He probably overslept, I mean, between the two of us we did manage to wake him up twice yesterday..." Stiles conjectured, playing with the straps of his backpack absentmindedly. "Come on, let's get to class!"