🍼I🍼

[Jisung's POV]

I sat down at the dinner table and smiled as I saw hyung doing some homework on his laptop. In the meantime I, who was in normal headspace at this point was busy reading something.

A diary.

Yesterday I visited my old house while hyung was asleep. It was a three hour walk from my apartment, but I managed. Eventually once I got there I smiled.

As a child I was raised in a small farmer's village about 25 km away from the city. There were several farms, my parents' farm produced strawberries. My mother would plant the strawberries and even talk to them. My dad as well as the fellow inhabitants of the village all questioned her antics. However I always believed that the reason our strawberries were always so fresh and juicy was because of the fact that my parents genuinely loved their job.

To us, strawberries were more then just fruit. We made our income with them, we used strawberries in a lot of our food and everywhere, every corner of the house smelled like strawberries. Every Tuesday and Saturday we had the local market where we sold our produce, as well as pastries with strawberries incorperated in them. Strawberry shortcake, strawberry pie, strawberry cupcakes, strawberry tarts, you name it, we sold it. The market was from 10:00 to 18:00. On Tuesdays I'd assist my mom and dad during the market from 10:00 to 14:00 and on Saturday from 14:00 to 18:00.

At school all my friends would ask me to make them the children's favorite- which were strawberry cupcakes. At night when my parents were asleep I would sneak into the pantry and bake a batch. At school I would sell the cupcakes, 1300 won, so around one dollar for one cupcake. Every day I'd sell at least ten of these. My friends joined in on the action and together we'd make dozens of cupcakes to sell. We'd go from door to door, asking if people wanted to buy our cupcakes. In the rich part of the village we'd charge double the price in order to piss the rich off. Our village would've been seen as poor to many people but we were content with what we had. It didn't matter to me if I had the newest Play Station or if I had expensive sneakers. As long as I could just go to school, play outside with my friends and watch Pokemon with my older brother Jihoon I was happy.

I'm proud to say I'm still like that.

I'm minimalistic to a degree. Because I also study at college the majority of all the money I earn as barista is used to pay my student loans. I have about 200 dollars worth of money I can spend on food, clothes etc and then I pay 400 dollars a month for rent. 200 dollars is barely enough so I can only afford to take the bus about one, or twice a week if I'm lucky. But you don't see me complaining. I mean I'm lucky enough to even have a house, food, a job and an education. That should be enough right?

Eventually, eventually I'll gather myself together.