Her heart lurched in her chest. This was his coping mechanism, his protection. His safe place. At that moment she knew, if Aiden wanted to stay in his metaphorical closet for a while, she'd let him the same way he'd done with her.

But this side of him, it made her uncomfortable. It made her cold. She wanted her Aiden back. But either way, she loved him, all of him. Every part.

"Okay." she breathed out, putting a smile on her face too and squeezing his hand, "I want to do the swinging chairs ride. I think I'm finally over the spinning wheel."

And then he looked at her. For the first time since everything happened. His blue eyes locked onto hers, and though it was only for less than a second, she knew how much it meant to him that she was humouring this. And that's what mattered to her more than anything, making sure he was being supported and loved when he was suffering inside.

But the tension was still in the air, making him uncomfortable she knew. So Marley locked eyes with Leo — again sending a silent message — which he seemed to understand. He disappeared as he slowed to merge with those behind them. The silence dragged on for another minute, Marley still watching the side of Aiden's face. His jaw was tight.

"The hell I'm going on some rickety swing suspended in the air." Jason piped up out of the blue, his words rushed.

"It's perfectly safe Jason. You're so dramatic." Bree shot back, a laugh escaping her.

"Oh my god, I love this song! I want you out in the pouring rain
I want you down on your knees
Praying to God that I feel the same
I'm right here baby, so pleaseee."

"You love every song, Sarah." Tristan rebutted, "How is it that you know the lyrics to all of them?"

"Music is my full-time job."

Marley looked away from Aiden, not wanting him to feel scrutinized. But he wasn't himself, and that was hurting her. He wasn't laughing, saying an inappropriate joke, asking her about herself, calling her Spitfire when she lit up like a firework. Nothing.

Empty.

She felt like she was holding hands with a ghost.

Inappropriate jokes...that's it. When Aiden was down about Ian the same way he is now, the only way she was able to distract him was with something sexual. If that's what would distract him enough, make him feel more than afraid, she will deliver.

"Aiden." she was already blushing. Dammit.

He still didn't look her way, "Can we..." you're so lucky I love you, "go...um...somewhere?" She squeaked, genuinely humiliated.

He took it the wrong way at first, turning to look at her, "I said I don't want to ta..."

His voice died when he locked eyes with her. His blue ones searched her flushed face, so she glanced away from him, refusing to meet his eyes.

He cleared his throat from above her, "Fuck yes we can go somewhere. Leo, take the dog."

Boys.

Aiden's hand was releasing hers to practically throw the dog at Leo, snatching her bag of stuffed animals from her grip and using his free hand to lace their fingers together, fast-walking them away.

Marley stumbled behind him, taking a second to look back at Leo. He appeared worried, but what stunned Marley more than that was Gabby standing beside him, a hand on his arm. Her green eyes were staring up at the side of his face with gentle concern.

Just a small touch. A small gesture. But if Marley has learned anything since meeting Aiden Matthews — it's that the small stuff means everything.