One Mistake

It was a pleasant day, probably the best day to dive

It was a pleasant day, probably the best day to dive. A diver along with some of his friends went for diving to appreciate the beauty of the ocean. After diving and enjoying with his friends, he was getting prepared to get back on the boat when his finger somehow got cut.

To cleanse his wound, standing on the boat, he tries to open a first aid kit with a tight-fitting lid. He uncovers it with brute force which causes some items like gauze pads, cotton buds and splint to fall into the water. The diver does not devote much attention to them and continues to cleanse his wound.

Simultaneously, a seahorse, in the ocean, was searching for something to feed his family. It was his intense day. He couldn't discover anything. At that time, he observed something on the surface of the water. He got delighted that finally, he has arranged something for his family. He was happy that now he can feed his family. He was happy that he was able to fulfil his responsibility.

It was the cotton bud from the first aid kit that reaches the innocent seahorse. He thinks it is something useful for him and tries to take it to his family. Seahorses swim very poorly, they rapidly flutter dorsal fins and use pectoral fins (located behind their eyes) to steer. The seahorse struggles to reach his home but the cotton fibres start to get separated from the stick. The seahorse notices it and turns to look at the cotton fibre. Due to the swift flow of water, the tiny cotton fibres get stuck in the gills of the seahorse. Due to this, it becomes hard for the seahorse to take in oxygen. By the time, he could not obtain oxygen. He starts to lose control of his body and ultimately dies.

At that moment, the seahorse thinks only if I knew how harmful this thing was for me. Only if I could turn back time but it's impossible. Maybe it was his fate. But the cause of his death became one mistake by a human.

It is substantial to spread awareness about the harmful effects of pollution, caused by humans, on aquatic animals. We should not throw the plastics, Q-tips and other pollution-causing items in the oceans. Or this can kill a large number of aquatic animals. We must be careful while flinging away such things. To think for a second before throwing such things is better than claiming the lives of innocent animals. Therefore, we should give it a thought and spread awareness about the vital problem of the present.

Sentimental rubbish is typically an effective substitute for marine life. We should constitute part of the solution and not the part of pollution. We have to save aquatic animals and it can only be done if every one of us lends a helping hand in creating awareness about pollution.  

Entry for #PlanetorPlastic contest hosted by NationalGeographic