Chapter Three - Accidental Kiss

I wake up on the Saturday morning (meaning 1pm) to hear Tom talking to someone. I open one eye to see Tom in his boxers – which I’m now use to – on the phone.

“Yes mum… I know… Mum I’m old enough to make my own decisions… I like living here… I know you don’t like her… We would have nowhere else to stay… Mum, you don’t understand how much she means to me… No, we’re not dating… Yeah I do like her, mum… Please just give this a chance… I think this will all work out… Okay… Yeah… I love you… Bye.” I close my eyes tightly. I hate how this has put a strain on Tom’s family. He’s doing this all for me, I don’t get it. But then again I would do it for him, and we’ve promised each other.

I feel the bed move and squeak as Tom sits beside me, moving the hair out my face, it’s so peaceful that I could hear him breath.

“Good morning, Delilah…” He says softly as I open my eyes, “I’m sorry for losing my temper on you last night…”

“Don’t worry about it, Tom…” I say, still half asleep, “You’re gig tonight… Do you know what you’re doing?” I ask as he nods.

“I’ve decided on three songs all with a guitar.”

“I love it when you sing with your guitar…” I say as he randomly walks out. Ten minutes later he walks in with two cups of tea, “You’re so random.” I laugh as he winks at me. I take a sip. He got my tea completely right. Wow, I’m that easily impressed by Tom.

It’s an hour before we have to leave for the gig so I decide to get ready. After applying my makeup, doing my hair and sorting out what dress I’m wearing, I walk out to the living room to see Tom, smarter than he’ll ever be and ever has been before. He’s wearing jeans, a black shirt and converse. It doesn’t sound too smart but for him it is. He looks so attractive tonight,  as he sits on the sofa, his guitar pick held in his mouth as he tunes his guitar. Not that he never looks amazing, I guess I’ve never thought of Tom in that way. So why do I think about him like that. The other nights conversations have been playing on my mind throughout all of today. “You two are such a cute couple!” “You walked in here hand in hand, always smiling at each other…” “I got to admit I thought you two were a couple.” “Delilah and Tom… Yep, that sounds like a cute couple.”  I look down at what I’m wearing and look back at him. He’d never like me in that way. I huff to myself. As I remember that night. “Don’t you find it funny that everyone thinks we are a couple?”  “Shut up Delilah! No one’s better than you!” “Can’t you see? Eurgh I’m not going to say it…” See what?

He finally looks up from his guitar as I rest on the door frame and smile at him. He grins back as he puts the guitar and pick down and walks over.

“You look stunning, Delilah.”

“You look amazing, too…” I say blushing. I meant it though. I find myself watching him as he bites his bottom lip, staring back at me. What’s going over me? His lips get closer and closer to mine until they finally touch. At first it’s nice, nice to have Tom kiss me. Eventually it sinks in what I’m doing. I pull away and just stare into his eyes, the eyes that suddenly fill with concern as his face turns a shade of red. It’s not right. He’s my best friend. I can’t let myself think of him in any other way. What happens if we did become a couple, but we broke up. I’d end up on the street with nowhere to stay. Who knows what would happen to Tom. And I’m still trying to get his parents to like me. No that kiss wasn’t right. Yet I kissed his back.

“Ermm…” I manage to say as he attempts to kiss me again, “Tom… No.” He looks down at me and sighs, close enough for me to feel it.

“I’m sorry…” Every time I go to reply I stop myself. I wanted to kiss him. I still do. But I can’t let myself. I have to explain to him.

“Don’t be Tom…”

“Delilah I’m sorry I didn’t mean to… I feel like such an idiot.”

“Tom, don’t…”

“I like you, Delilah, I really do…”

“Tom…” I say as he babbles on. Sod it. I interrupt him by kissing him again, this time him disconnecting the kiss.

“I like you too Tom, a lot…”

“Delilah I get it we’re friends.”

“We don’t have to be… I’m scared Tom, I’m scared what’s going to happen next, but I really like you.” I say as he kisses me again.

“I promised you I’d stay with you throughout everything… Don’t be scared, Delilah…” Just by that one sentence, I feel secure and at home in Tom’s arms.