Part 1

Anya was patient as she glanced at the chess board. Her opponent, the Don Hamato, was currently mulling over his next move as they waited for one of her servants to bring up tea. It's only been half an hour into the game and the ice in her drink had melted and ruined the taste.

"My, my, dearest mentor - It seems you're losing your touch after all these years," she teased, the small contraband brandy in her hand as she lounged back in her seat.

"Or - Anya, you've just been getting better. But I do enjoy a challenge," the Don smiled wisely, moving one of his pieces and putting her in check.

A nameless man walked silently into the room, holding a tray filled with steaming tea and a few things to nibble on to satisfy his Mistress and her guest while the rest of the staff prepared dinner for them. There had been news of a new business deal buzzing throughout the estate - and everything was hinging on the mutant, er - Don that was in their home to sign the contract.

The Don Hamato was known widely as one of the biggest bosses of all New York City with a massive amount of territory and spies everywhere. His hit men were notorious for never missing a target - and he made a fortune off of protection and bodyguards for the other bosses and head honchos of the city.

But Madame Rayne was also to be feared - being one of only two females having as much power and prestige as a Don; a cruel, manipulative, and cunning mind hid behind that soft, pretty face. She originally worked as a singer for some of the local bars in the Hamato's territory after coming to the States, but it turned out that the Don Hamato had a better idea for her and began her training to do a few "side jobs" as well after her shows.

After years clawing her way up the ranks, she was able to get him to agree to let her have her own little slice of the Big Apple, and soon she swept through the city to create the moderately-sized empire she had today with weaponry dealings, black market business, and her complex network of bootlegging alcohol from across the borders and a few brewers, distilleries, and vineyards she personally invested and kept protected.

But enough about the ugly truth.

Anya concentrated on the figures on the board and admittedly had nowhere to go to make any decent strategy - so she decided small talk would work just fine as a time-killer until the business end of this meeting arrived.

"I never liked chess all that much... too much to do with playing a game on two fronts." She mused, pouring herself a small cup of Darjeeling tea as she abandoned her brandy. She gazed over to the Don in front of her, watching him.

"Much like the past. It's been too long since we've had a proper meeting without discussing territories, rivalries and money."

"That's what keeps us alive, Splinter. Ruthlessness and cunning... and a hell of a lot of luck."

They continued to discuss life until a small ringing was heard from the telephone by her sofa. The Madame picked up the receiver daintily as she put it to her ear.

"I'd assume you're finished with the documents, Mr. Fuller?" She said aloud, listening to the caller's response. "Oh? Of course Fuller - I wouldn't be that nonintellectual, he's here. Yes? Oh, that's perfect. I'll be expecting you in twenty minutes in the study, and perhaps you'll stay for dinner - that sounds just fine, Fuller. Thank you. Goodbye."

She hung up the receiver and looked back to the rat mutant.

"You already know that Markus Fuller is my lawyer for these sorts of things. He's written down and fiddled with what we discussed and finally has it ready for this evening," she said, sipping on her tea. "Of course, he did tweak the agreement to make it more - palatable... for the authorities, so you'll have to excuse the wording."