2: Whispers and Secrets

One typical day, as Tanya was making her way towards her science lecture through the bustling corridors, she ran into Rhea-her closest friend. Tanya and Rhea joined UL together. Moreover, they were friends ever since they could remember their full names. She flashed the slender brunette a wide smile, dropping the unmoved facade that she normally wore and stopped in her tracks to greet her.

Rhea herself was a known person at UL. She wasn't as extroverted as Tanya was but she liked socializing. Rhea was known for being good at a lot of things and Tanya for being perfect at the things which others could barely do.

Tanya had olive skin while Rhea was a shade darker. She had hazel eyes which were like the cool breeze that gently caresses your face. She was energetic and faster in her movements unlike Tanya who was hyperactive and unaffected at the same time. She wasn't very firm and preferred to just go with the flow which was quite opposite to her best friend.

Tanya expected some hot news from Rhea as that was how their conversations usually started. Rhea was quite a chatter box, quite approachable also and news always found her just at the right time.

Proving her right, Rhea told her that she heard some old fellow -gray hair and all- talking to UL's headmistress. Tanya obviously didn't care about the news at first so she started walking which made Rhea follow her closely, thinking that this simple piece of information would give rise to another one of her long gossip sessions.

She didn't care much about gossip, but she listened for the sake of Tanya (plus it was kinda entertaining)

However, when they were already at the door, almost as they entered their class, Rhea finally opened her mouth to inform Tanya about the carelessly forgotten details. 'But I heard something about taking the school over. Yes, that old man said so. I did find him quite dodgy. He was speaking to Crystal Ma'am about some kind of paper work.'

Upon hearing this Tanya gave her an irritated look and subtly pulled her to the side. Face palming herself, Tanya gave out a quick sigh. 'Why couldn't you tell me that earlier? Okay... I want all the details... before someone sees us.'

'So I was walking down the corridor when... Oh I saw Manik....'

Rhea trailed off, lost God knows where. Her eyes would've turned into hearts (if that was possible). Tanya shook her shoulder, bringing her out of her dreamy world. 'I don't care! Get to the point.'

'Yeah, he said he'd send the money around the first week of August and then he asked for a complete tour of the school and all the records too so it would be easier for him to take over. He also specified that he wanted to make some changes in the management; also the school uniform. Apparently, the school isn't prudent enough.'

'Take over? Tanya asked. Before Rhea could answer, Tanya's eyes went wide as realization struck her. 'He's gonna buy the school...' Tanya said slowly. 'He's gonna buy the school!' she repeated more surely.

Rhea furrowed her eyes and replied several moments later 'That might be... after all, Crystal Ma'am is soon going to retire. But the faculty wouldn't let that happen, would it?'

'I don't know about the faculty but I am not gonna let that happen. That's for sure.'

Rhea looked into Tanya's eyes and saw that spark. An adventure is up and happening.

Tanya asked, continuing further, 'where did you see all this happening?' 'Near the deserted stairway on the 4th floor.' she replied

'Let's go then...' Tanya said and pulled her best friend down the corridor, their science lecture long forgotten.