1: Some Insight

Really, I don't think man can ever know a teen.

There are parts of them that they hide and bits that they display as if that's all it is. Truth is, being a teenager is a difficult task altogether. It's a period of change, and change doesn't come easy, you know?

The transition from a child to an adult is possibly the most vulnerable part of anyone's life. The mental as well as physical change gives the teens a chance at finding their true selves. It's a time when character is either built or ruined.

And no, this change doesn't take place overnight. Sometimes it happens at an excruciatingly slow pace; sometimes it takes merely a month or two.

A few years ago Tanya Fox was the quiet, teacher's pet... as obedient and respectful as it gets. She was perfect, an 'A grade student'; No one really likes perfect people, do they? No, she wasn't herself but she was perfect and that was enough.

She spent her childhood sitting alone in her room reading books, solving math problems or maybe painting a landscape; not playing around as she should've. She was a complete introvert, you see. She was smart, yes, but that was all that people knew about her... if they knew her at all. She could've literally counted her friends on one hand.

Here's the shocker

If someone who knows Tanya since the last year or so reads this, he or she wouldn't believe a single word from the above paragraph. 'Cause if you met her now you'd see that she has changed drastically. You most probably would see an entire bunch of people around her.

I don't know... it's like she suddenly got out of the cocoon phase and transformed into a social butterfly. Or maybe she is a cocoon and being a socially active person is a phase. As I said, I don't know, nor does she.

Just like her, there were around 2,000 teens in Universal League High School of Delhi; all with endless enthusiasm. Almost 500 of those, including Tanya, stayed in the school hostel itself. Many did because they chose a life away from home, some didn't have a choice. As for Tanya, she enrolled in Universal League, just the previous year, because this was one of the best schools in the country.

It wasn't an easy decision at all. Tanya, who had no siblings, was a highly pampered child. She received boundless love from her family. She couldn't bear being away from the people she loved, from the place she grew up in. Expectedly, she was home sick for the first couple months.

But as they say, time teaches you how to live with the pain. It doesn't heal it, no, but it does make it bearable.

The school itself was quite huge, consisting of two buildings, each with 4 floors. The first was the one with 32 class rooms, 3 laboratories and a huge library.

Students were given the best kind of education by highly qualified teachers. The classrooms, with a capacity of 50, were some students' most hated place (not the school's fault really). The laboratories enjoyed the best equipment and the library had an astonishing collection of thousands of books.

The other building was the hostel. There were around 300 rooms for the students, 2 staffrooms, a few deserted classrooms which were off limits (the students had their ways to sneak in) and an indoor swimming pool on the third level. The hostel also consisted of a banquet hall, a garden, basketball court, a football field and a students' lounge. Basically, it was the best school any kid could ask for. UL was like a dream come true.

Tanya's favorite section of the school had to be the library though. It's like she had her own little world, with unfathomable adventures and characters that feel as alive as her real friends did.

Tanya was always a passionate reader and she was glad that she didn't leave behind that hobby of hers with her old self.