A Hunger Scare

It was a normal day in Adventure Bay... that is, it was until lunchtime rolled around.

"Noooooo!" Rubble cried, "We simply can not be out of pup kibble, I must be having a nightmare."

"Sorry, Rubble. We really are out, but I'll go to Katie's and pick up a bag. She ordered it for me last night, so it should be here by now." Ryder said.

He prepared his ATV and grabbed some cash. "All of you be good, I'll be back in an hour." He said, and sped off for Katie's.

As soon as Ryder was across the bridge, Rubble's belly rumbled extra loudly.

"Gee, Rubble," Marshall said, "I can't believe you'd be that hungry. We had breakfast this morning."

"I know, but I simply can't help thinking about the sweet, wonderful, amazing, great, scrumptious, awsome, stunning..."

"Hey, Rubble! We get it, you like to eat." Chase said, as Rubble's food trance was causing him to drool.

Suddenly, a super loud belly rumble was heard. All the pups turned to Rubble.

He looked back in surprise. "Um, guys... I hate to break it to you, but that wasn't me."

"Huh?" Chase said. "Everest, was it you? You're the next biggest eater."

"As a matter of fact, it wasn't." She said. "I thought it came from behind the Lookout."

They tip-pawed around the tower and heard the grumble again, only louder. Finally, the sound led them to... Rocky. He was sleeping in his pup house, with his head and front paws sticking out. Oddly enough, he was in his wolf form.

"I guess it was nothing, maybe Rocky had a bad dream and was growling." Skye said.

"Yeah," Zuma sighed, "so now what awre..."

(GRROOWWLL!!!)

The pups and a startled Zuma turned and looked back at the no longer sleeping wolf-pup and noticed he was rubbing his belly. Everest, his and Marshall's girlfriend, walked over to him.

"Rocky, is that your tummy?" She asked.

"Grrr! It is. I'm starving! I missed breakfast due to a pup tag malfunction, and now we have to wait an hour to eat lunch. Ugh! Maybe I'll have to hunt something down, something big..." He gazed toward Everest, "...about your size. You know, pup sized."

Panic filled her eyes and she smiled a forced smile. "Hehe... yeah, well, uh... bye." Her and the others quickly ran inside.

"Oy, oy, oy! What are we to do, amigos? What if Rocky eats us?" Tracker said as he shook violently.

"What do we do, Chase. I think he may just eat us." Skye said worriedly, and she hid her face in Chase's chest fur.

He looked at them and then at the big glass doors on the elevator. Then an idea popped into his head.

"Alright, here's what we're going to do. Someone will tell Rocky that there's food in the Lookout and lure him into the elevator. Once he's in there, the 'bait' pup, as they'll be called, will jump out and we'll close him in. And, just as a precaution, Marshall will stand here with his water cannons."

"Yes, with my... wait, why?" Marshall asked, unsure of where Chase's plan was going.

"Rocky hates water, right? Well, if we can't catch him and he gets mad, we can buy some time by spraying him. Understand now?"

"Oh, yeah. Now I do, Chase, Sir." The Dalmatian said and saluted.

"Good, does everyone else understand?" He asked the rest and they nodded.

A few moments later, Rocky opened his eyes only to see Everest standing, once again, before him. He looked at his girlfriend and tilted his head to one side.

"Uh, hi again, Everest. Why did you run away last time? Did I scare you?" He asked with utmost concern.

She gave a smile and shook her head. "Oh, don't worry about earlier. I was wondering, would you like a snack? The others and I found some."

She started to shake a little when he suddenly stood and shot from his doorway. "Are you kidding? I'd love a snack; I'm so hungry, I bet I could eat an army..."

"Come on then let's hurry!" Everest interjected, and dragged the wolf-pup into the Lookout.

Rocky saw absolutely nothing inside the main floor and wondered if it were a prank.

"Um, if there was food, then where'd it all go?"

"You have to go upstairs, silly. In the top floor; use the elevator." Everest said smiling; a smile that somewhat frightened even a were-wolf.

"O...K..." He said hesitantly, and walked in the lift.

As soon as he was entirely in, the doors slammed shut and locked. Rocky pounded them with tremendous force but they wouldn't budge.

"Hey! Guys! What gives? Help me out!"

"No can do, you're planning to eat us." Chase said.

"What!?" Rocky shouted, surprised. "What do you mean 'planning to eat you'? I said I would never eat my friends, even as a wolf." The rest looked uneasy, while he just sat in the elevator and seemed hurt and disgraced.
_____________
Continued in two ending variations...