ch. 28

Chapter Twenty Eight;;- The End, Together

Tomorrow was the day they graduated. The nerves that had swarmed [name]'s stomach made it difficult for her to sit down for long before she felt the urge to stand and pace again. Tomorrow, she would no longer be a high school student.

It felt like all everyone was talking about. What their plans were for the future, where they were going off to study or work, what they were going to do before they started studying or working-- It was big and scary, looming in front of them for long enough that they had almost gotten used to it.

Until the actual event came for them.

[name] loosened her hold on Tamaki's hand as they sat down on the train. She had just gotten off a late shift at Fantasia, exhausted and still scared of the day to come. As they settled into their seats on the empty train, [name] leaned into Tamaki's chest, sighing contentedly.

It seemed sappy to say, but being with him really did make [name] feel more relaxed. Her nerves began to smooth out as he (albeit very nervously) set his arm around her waist, pulling her just slightly closer to him. She knew that she probably had a similar effect on him, judging by the relief in his face when she had taken his hand after she emerged from Fantasia.

"Are you ready for tomorrow?" She asked. [name] wasn't able to see his face due to their position, but she noticed Tamaki's free hand fidget with the hem of his shirt.

"No..," he murmured honestly. His head fell so that his cheek was on top of [name]'s head.

[name] smiled. "You'll be a real hero, won't you?"

Tamaki lifted his head so that he could shake it 'no' and realized halfway through that she still couldn't see him. "N-No, not really. There's still some technical stuff... Certifications and things like that..." He decided against detailing everything that the teachers had specifically told them they would have to be doing.

She hummed as the train slowed and stopped, then stood. [name] held out her hands to Tamaki, hoisting him up once he took them. "C'mon, I want to show you something."

Clueless, Tamaki followed [name] off the train. She started down a street that they had never gone down before and looked completely unfamiliar to him. He glanced around suspiciously, not sure if he should trust the foreign route. The farther they walked, he noticed that there was beginning to have less buildings around them, until finally [name] stopped in front of a small field.

The field looked a little bit overgrown with weeds and the wooden fence that surrounded it had vines growing up the sides. The short fence looked like it was originally made a long time ago, but no one had bothered to keep repairing it. It was broken in some places, covered in green moss in others. The tall grass from the field stuck out from some of the slats and brushed against their legs.

"I-I don't think it's legal to go on that field, [name]..." Tamaki looked around the area, sending an unsure glance at the maybe-occupied house across the street.

[name] laughed softly and shook her head. "No, we don't need to. It's just got less light pollution out here." She pointed upwards, at the sky.

True to her word, he could see more stars than when they were closer to the city. Tamaki nearly gasped-- there were more stars than he thought could have even existed for him to see. Red, blue, white, gold, they lay strewn upon the firmament like handfuls of sparkling dust. The constellations he was familiar with were sill present, but now were set among thousands of fainter stars, which he beheld for probably the first time. Not only did the stars appear brighter, the void between them appeared darker. It was as if, whenever he had looked at the sky before, there had been a haze over his eyes that had kept him from seeing the true glory of the stars.

Still enraptured by the beauty, Tamaki looked back down at [name]. Her eyes were upturned towards them still, a faint smile playing on her lips. Her face was lit only by the moonlight and the gentle glow of the stars. For a moment, Tamaki's heart felt so full of love that he thought it might just stop beating-- in a good way. Tamaki had never thought his heart would stop beating in a good way.

He liked it.

[name] tore her eyes away from the heavens and met eyes with Tamaki again. The faint smile grew bolder and she beamed up at Tamaki. All the nerves both of them had felt had been washed away by the pure beauty of the sky and the mere presence of the other. "I can see your starstuff," she said, a teasing tone laced into her voice.

Tamaki's cheeks grew warm at the memory she had brought to mind[1]. "Y-Yours, too." Embarrassment drove him to look away, but he couldn't quite will himself to. His eyes roamed over [name]'s face, burning the borderline-angelic girl into his mind.

"Our future begins tomorrow," [name] murmured, although it sounded more to herself than to Tamaki. She kicked a pebble with the toe of her shoe, glaring down at it as if it were the sole thing to blame for their unease. "I'm not ready, and you say you aren't either... But we're gonna do this." She looked back up, meeting his eyes with a fire lit in her [eye color] hues that wasn't there before. She took his hand and leaned her weight onto her toes, pressing a firm kiss to Tamaki's lips. "Together."

[1]- Chapter Eight

a/n: ahhh i'm so emotional rn

you may have noticed that they didn't actually kiss in any of the chapters since reader's confession! i did that on purpose lol. i just didn't see them being the couple that loves pda.