ch. 5

Chapter Five;;- Friendship Tastes Like Chicken

[surname] [name]: i have a confession to make

12:04 p.m.

[surname] [name]: i made shark meat but i forgot to ask if i could come give it to you

12:04 p.m.

[surname] [name]: are you free?

12:05 p.m.

It took a little bit of courage to send those texts, but as soon as she had pressed the "send" button, [name] felt an immense sense of relief. It took a couple minutes to get Amajiki's reply (which was timid even through text?), and twenty minutes later [name] was leaving her home, two shark steaks carefully contained in tupperware.

Her quirk was on lowly, keeping the meat warm but not high enough that it could overcook it, either. It wasn't an overly long way to Amajiki's house[1], but [name] knew that meals, unlike revenge, were always better served warm.

She boarded the train, sure to keep her arms tucked close to her sides, because the use of quirks were prohibited in public. The ride wasn't long, since it turned out the station he got off was only a stop or two away from the one that [name] got off on.

[name] had her headphones in, her music playing quietly in her ears as she got off the train. It was a peaceful walk, meandering around the streets. The spring sun shone down gently, breeze caressing her face and ruffled the tree leaves.

It had been almost three weeks since she had met Amajiki, [name] realized. The incident that had caused their meeting never resurfaced on her mind, but she found the thought of Amajiki arising every now and then. He was an interesting guy, she thought. He was so god damn introverted it seemed almost impossible. And the thing with the walls? She wasn't sure what that was about. But he seemed sweet, and if experience was anything to go by, then the introverted ones were always the best friends to have.

Plus, friends were hard to come by in [name]'s little world that existed only of school, work, and home. Her brother and father were the only two people she spoke to casually since her classmates were never close to her, and it sounded pretty damn pathetic to say that her younger brother and dad were closest friends.

So a friendship with Amajiki didn't seem like a bad idea.

[name], after carefully putting away her headphones and shifting the tupperware in her arms, knocked on the door. It opened after a couple seconds to a bedheaded Amajiki, dressed in jeans and a sweater. Her eyes scanned his somewhat tired appearance, wondering why he looked so sleepy if he had been so quick to respond to her text. It was the first time she had noticed his elf-like ears, she realized with a smile. They were cute.

He gave her a small wave, his mouth drawn into a shaky, nervous frown. Amajiki moved to the side so that [name] could come in, shutting the door once she was inside. Noticing the shoes by the front door, she slipped her worn out sneakers off so that she was only in her socks. Amajiki lingered by the door behind her, clearly anxious. His entire body startled when she turned to look at him.

Her hands gripped the tupperware. She was nervous too, even though she wouldn't want to admit it. "Mind showing me to where ever you eat?" [name] asked, smiling.

Amajiki's cheeks lit up with a blush, embarrassed by his own lack of knowledge on what to do. He nodded, his own sock clad feet sliding across the hardwood floors. [name] followed him, his silent footsteps leading her to the dining room, where Amajiki stopped and awkwardly looked back at her.

Sensing Amajiki's ridiculous nervousness, [name] smiled warmly, setting the tupperware onto the table. "I didn't ask if you were allergic to anything," she said, eyes focused on taking the lids off, "So I hope you aren't. There's not a whole lot to be allergic to here anyways. Some thyme, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, chili powder, garlic salt..." She listed off, trailing off near the end. "Is it possible to be allergic to spices?" She wondered aloud. Almost as if she were snapping out of her thoughts, [name] laughed under her breath and shook her head. "And I made some mashed potatoes and mixed veggies for sides. So there's milk and butter in there."

The shaky frown that [name] hadn't seen Amajiki without yet transformed into a very, very tiny smile. He noticed her eyes widen at this realization and the smile quickly disappeared, but there was a light in his eyes that she was sure wasn't there before. "I'm not allergic to anything," he answered quietly.

[name] grinned wider, happy to know that her mindless rambling (although usually such an annoying habit) had actually made Amajiki feel less nervous. "Good!" She took out two pairs of silverware wrapped in cloth napkins from her pocket, giving one to Amajiki and keeping the other for herself. She sat down at the table, one of the tupperware containers in front of her and the other in the spot across the table. Amajiki sat down in the other seat, fiddling with the napkin to get the silverware out.

They ate in relative silence, [name]'s brow scrunched down as she assessed her own cooking critically. Amajiki watched her curiously, noticing how her face would change depending on what she was tasting, making decisions on what she should do next time.

When they were finished, [name] took the dirty silverware, wrapping the silverware back up and tucking it in her pocket. She stacked the tupperware together and snapped their lids on. "What did you think?" She asked shyly, looking down at her hands that were now in her lap.

"It was very good... Thank you," Amajiki answered honestly. He didn't really know that much about cooking, so it wasn't really something that he could weigh in much on, but he had indeed found it to be very tasty.

[name] nodded. "The potatoes were a bit lumpy and a little too dry. The vegetables could have used more seasoning. But I agree, the shark was good. Tasted a little bit like..," she hummed, wondering what to compare the taste to.

Amajiki thought on it as well. "Chicken?"

Her eyes lit up. "Yeah! Totally." There was a short silence as they walked backed towards the front door. "So, um. Your quirk, now that you've had the shark, you could manifest it, right?"

He could feel her curiosity radiating off of her in waves. He shrunk under her intrigued eyes. "T-Theoretically..," Amajiki murmured, reaching down to play with his fingers. "A lot depends on the quality and the amount though..."

"Well, I don't want to pressure you or anything," [name] started, grinning, "but I'd really like to see it!"

Amajiki, albeit taken a bit off guard with the sudden request, nodded. He squeezed his eyes shut and focused, the first thing coming to mind being his teeth, but was barely able to get his quirk to work. He sighed, releasing it and shaking his head. He thought he was over being too nervous to use his quirk. "Sorry..."

[name] shook her head vehemently. "Nonono, it's not your fault! I asked out of nowhere." She touched his shoulder gently for just a second, then reaching down to slip her shoes on. "Sorry if I made you uncomfortable."

His quivering frown didn't let up, but he shook his head anyway.

Now that were shoes were on, [name] straightened up and started towards the door. "If you find it useful for your hero work," she opened the door, "then let me know and I'll make you more." She waved, shutting the door behind her and sighing.

What a sweet boy.

BONUS:

Amajiki Tamaki: It worked
2:39 p.m.

Amajiki Tamaki: Thanks
2:40 p.m.

[1]- Since technically the show/manga begins before the school year begins, this story is set some place in the middle. i'd say after sports festival, but before the training camp. so, the students aren't in the dorms yet.