The Girl in the Sea - 7

Lucinda felt herself stirring. Felt the hard ground beneath her. Felt a hand supporting her, forcing her to move even if she wasn't moving her legs.

"I should never have taken both..."

"It'd be fine with just our little wolf friend..."

"That girl was taken care of..."

The words faded in and out, stopping her from hearing everything. She tried to call out, to ask the person to repeat that, but her voice wouldn't work and and neither would her mouth open. All that came out was a low moan.

The movement stopped. The sounds of walking continued, but from distances. Now she could hear rumbling and the blaring of horns.
Then she heard the shuffling, perhaps from in a bag, or perhaps in a pocket. Either way it was quiet. Muted.

Again, Lucinda tried to ask what was going on. Her mind was foggy. She vaguely remembered this happening before, but at the same time, it seemed like someone else's memory.

Someone spoke. The person holding her. "Here."

Here? Where?

"Take this," The voice told her.

Oh. But I can't open my mouth.

But she found she could. She felt something small slide onto her tongue. Round. Like a pill.
She swallowed it, feeling a part of her drift away with it. The feeling was strange. In a clear part of her mind, she felt the word "drugged" and knew this was the situation she was in. Yet she suddenly couldn't focus anymore while sleep felt like bliss and the arm a strong comfort.

*

It was harder to drag the witch, that was for sure. But at least she wasn't giving him any trouble.
Thank Irene he had brung the sleeping pills. Ein wasn't too bad.

Then again, Ein had stolen them from the medic.

Terry let his mind wander, knowing for a fact he'd be back at the base before Lucinda would wake up again.
At least she wouldn't remember the trip.

•    •    •

A girl floated to the top of the water. She stayed there, suspended as if in midair, arms dangling at an awkward angle behind her. Her hair spread out through the water, silky and smooth and cradling the peaceful childlike face still holding a light smile.

Few fish dared to venture near her at first. Why would they? This creature was invading their home. Their land.
Then, when they realized it may not be a threat, they cautiously swam around it. Through the long tendrils of smooth substance near its large head and under the four weird fins that didn't move on their own the fish swam, nibbling at stubby toes and wrinkled fingertips.

Yet the girl simply lay there. Unmoving. Face paralyzed in that same, now sickening smile.
The waves carried and tossed her around like another piece of trash.
What if she was one now? Just another floating piece of garbage. Or was she more, since she was once a living creature?

The water did not believe either because water does not think. Water, in a way, only acts. And so it did, continuing to move the body around in a pattern only time itself knew, only breaking when the girl hit something new.

Thump.

A solid surface, smoothed, rounded, and hollow.

Thump.

Almost like an anchor. The anchor she had once needed to find.

Thump.

A boy with sandy hair and striking blue eyes looked down into the water from the hollow anchor, mouth open in preparation of something.
Something he would not start. He instead went for a cry of disbelief, unwilling to trust his eyes.