CH. 39

THIRTY NINE:

Monday, December 5th
1:00 PM

"Hey," I greeted Elijah as he entered the kitchen where I was making myself lunch.

"Danielle, how was school?" He asked, grabbing himself an apple out of our large fruit bowl.

"A drag. Finals are next week. So it's just going to be review after review. Which is nice and all but I'm just ready for my vacation."

"Suffocating with the irritation and grief of the parents this month, yet?" He asked, raising a brow and I chuckled but nodded my head.

Every month close to the full moon, Klaus and Hayley get more and more irritable. More snippy, more attitude, and more wanting to be alone locked in their rooms like teenagers. Or in Hayley's case, sneaking out at night.

"I called Hayley last night. Since she hasn't been home in four days. All I got was anger, you're not my mom Dani. Then she hung up. So I'm going on a limb and saying she's okay," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Klaus is painting garbage," he replied and I shushed him quickly before my boyfriend heard. "What? It's true. The angrier he gets the more it's just paint splattered on a canvas before he needs to start over."

"I know," I sighed. "And the damn music again. Ugh. Can you believe it was only a week or so since we had a thanksgiving dinner with those two? It's like pulling teeth. Bipolar the both of them. One second they're fine, the next they can't function because of grief, and full moon on the rise means they can treat everyone like shit. I need my vacation!"

"Leave me alone with the two of them, why don't you," he scoffed.

"Sorry," I smiled sheepishly. "You want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I'm going to take one up to Klaus. And see how long I can stay in the art room before he kicks me out."

"No thank you. Also, I wanted to let you know there's only three rings left. There's a security detail that had one and the guy with him I couldn't get an eye on the ring, so I'll scope those two specifically again."

"Only three left? That's amazing," I grinned and he nodded.

"Maybe tell Klaus that and see if he eases up a bit. I'll try to get Hayley to come home tonight. I have no idea what she does when she's out alone."

"Have fun with that."

"Ten minutes," he said as I grabbed my plate, heading to leave the room.

"What?" I frowned.

"No. Eight. That's how long it will take before Klaus kicks you out."

"Better than your 30 seconds," I teased right back now that I knew what he was referring to. He chuckled as I left the room, heading upstairs to see my man.

I entered the room silently, plopping down on the couch. Klaus was laying on the floor next to a blank canvas. Eyes closed, hands behind his head, on his back with his head towards the ceiling. "Danielle, I can't paint anything," Klaus said without opening his eyes. Guess he heard me come in, even over the loud music.

"I'm sure that's not true," I replied. "Maybe you just need a break. I made food for us. Why don't you eat this sandwich?"

"I don't need food," he spat.

"You need a break," I repeated.

"Don't you have homework to do?"

"Don't I have a boyfriend?" I quipped. "I can't get a kiss? You slept here on the floor all weekend and left me alone. Was that not enough space away from me?"