CH. 23

TWENTY THREE:

Friday, May 20th
11:15 AM

"Baby, no," I hissed as we were passing a room we just spotted Marcel in. Klaus ignored me and went inside anyways. I sighed, following him.

"Ugh," Klaus groaned. "Is this what's it's come to? I bear the full weight of our kingdom while you pout like a child."

"You wanted to be king. Besides, you look like you got it covered," Marcel replied.

"If the men see you shirk your duties, they're likely to do the same."

"I told you, I am not in the mood for vampire hijinks."

"No. You'd rather sit wallowing in sorrow for your lost little friend."

Marcel suddenly stood up, pointing at Klaus who was a foot away, "Don't push me right now."

"Yes, don't," I warned Klaus, coming to his side and wrapping an arm around his waist. Klaus sighed and didn't bother to hold me back.

"I am sorry Davina is gone, ok? I'm sorry, but this mournful attitude is unworthy of you, and it's boring to me," Klaus spat.

"Hey, guys, we got a problem," someone spoke up. We all turned to the side to see Diego entering the room, a worried look upon his face.

"Perfect timing. Shall we go?" I smiled forcefully, looking up at Klaus who rolled his eyes at me.

"You're staying--" Klaus said.

"No. I'm not," I scoffed. Klaus shook his head, wrapping an arm around my waist finally. "I'm going?"

"Don't you always get your way?" He retorted and I laughed.

"I learnt from the best," I sang.

***

Friday, May 20th
11:40 AM

"We came to mess with the witches, just like you said. And these two, they went missing. Found them like this, not even staked. Just dead," Diego said.

I peered between Klaus' body and his arm. Two men laid, grey and wrinkled in some like chalk circle.

"That's two more of my guys gone. Nice job, Captain," Marcel commented, looking over the dead guys. He pulled his hood over his head and turned around going back where we came from.

"He's leaving?" I questioned.

Klaus turned around to face his retreating back. "Where are you going? Someone has to account for this!" Klaus yelled.

"You want revenge, get it yourself," Marcel retorted. He walked back and pointed at the surrounding people, "That mark is tied to some bad mojo. Any of y'all got any brains, you'll head back to the compound and stay the hell out of this."

Marcel then turned and walked away again, but never stopped. Klaus turned towards Diego who was closest and looked around the rest of the crowd of vampires, announcing, "We're gonna find whoever did this, and I will show them what suffering is."

The vampires start walking away and Klaus grabs my hand. "Wait," I whispered to him, tugging on his hand. He looked at me questioningly with undeniable annoyance.

"What?" He whispered back.

"Talk to me. We said no secrets. Now, what is Marcel talking about?" I asked him.

"Somebody is copycatting a very dangerous witch. They draw their power from sacrifice... A dangerous witch I put an end to before. And I'll handle this one too. Don't worry, love," he said.