Ch. 30, Partners

Bastien

6 years earlier...

"Hurry Bastien!"

I stumbled through the undergrowth, fighting down the tears as I followed behind. My legs weren't as long as my mothers, and I was afraid that if I stumbled and fell, she would simply leave me lying on the forest floor. As much as I feared my mother, I feared the forest more.

It was almost like there was an undercurrent of hate— an evil intention buried deep into the roots and branches, waiting for travelers to misstep. Branches like clawed fingers reached over us, and a cold wind twisted the few leaves that still clung to barren branches. The forest whispered and groaned, the barest of moonlight leaking down from thick clouds.

"Mom..." I whispered, terrified when a deep creaking noise seemed to answer back. I wanted to go back home, and curl up beneath the covers. After we'd eaten an extra slice of Clara's chocolate cake, she had said we were going on an adventure. Today was my 10th birthday, and she'd said that I was a grown man now. It was time I helped. My chest had puffed out and I'd felt brave in the fluorescent lights of the kitchen.

I didn't now.

Finally I stumbled out of the trees and down an embankment. I could just make out the thin form of my mother. A dark river stretched out before her, and she paced the bank like a caged animal. I slowly made my way to her side, and reached out to touch her hand. She jerked away when I touched her.

"Mom... I want to go home. Please."

She looked surprised to see me there. Then, after a moment, she pulled me closer and wrapped her arms around me.

"Be brave, Bas. I need your help. I'm trusting you to keep our secret." Her hand suddenly caught beneath my chin, lifting it to meet her eyes, one blue, one brown.

"You will keep our secret, won't you?"

"Yes... I promise." My voice was soft as a breath of wind. Her eyes went back to the river.

"Do you have your sword?"

I touched it with shaking fingers. I loved training with it in full daylight, the metal clash, clash, clash, but now all I could imagine was what sort of foe I might meet to need it.

"Then draw it and be ready."

She pulled a set of daggers from her side, and began to follow the river's flow downstream. I followed her for some time, and managed to wipe the sweat from my fingers onto my pants.

This is an adventure. You are brave like a knight and on an adventure.

A shadow dislodged from the woods.

I didn't even have time to scream.

I lifted my sword, missing completely, the weight of the sword throwing me off balance as I stumbled and fell.

I looked up to see glowing, inhuman eyes standing over me.

I'm going to die.

But I'd forgotten about mother, and I watched as she moved like a shadow herself. She drove her daggers down into the beast. The beast's scream tore the night in two.

I wanted to run, but I couldn't look away as the creature thrashed and screamed again. It flapped leather, almost bat-like wings, and had a long serpentine body, the size of a large dog. When it finally lay still, I picked up my sword and held it in front of me, approaching with the blade held out before me.