"Tom always tries to encourage people to defend themselves, have Bounty Hunter carry out the trade wagons from the Tradepost, Sanctuary and other communities." He said, taking two clean mugs from the cupboard. Before Sam could press him on it, the artist said, "But Gregory brash him off. You think Tom is right about this?"

"Yeah, he's right. People are too afraid to even look out the walls. Things have to change or something could happen."

"Like what happened to the both of you in the quarantine zone. About that girl. Tell me what you know about Mal."

The smell of brewing coffee filled the little kitchen. The artist leaned back against the sink, arms folded across his chest, and waited.

"Okay," said Sam, and he told the artist about Mal everything. It was the same story he told his friends. The artist was a good listener. Interrupting only to clarify a point and to press him for more precise descriptions of the three bounty hunter who had attacked Mal and defended herself. Sachet was on his second cup of coffee by the time Sam finished. The coffee in Sam's cup was untouched and cold.

When Sam was finished, the artist sat back in his chair and studied Sam with pursed lips.

"I think you're telling me the truth," he said.

"You think? Why would I lie about that stuff?"

"Oh hell, kid. People lie to me all the time. Even when they don't have a reason to. Folks that want an erosion portrait but don't have a photo of their loved ones tend to exaggerate so much, that the picture comes out looking like either Brad and Angelina."

"Who?"

"Doesn't matter. Point is, people lie a lot. Sometimes out of habit. Not many people are good at telling the truth."

Benny thought of it. "It's true. But why would I lie about a girl that I've met before, went up to you and gave you a picture to help us find her."

"You met my twin brother, Andrew."

"I know you had a twin, but he said your exact name."

"Because we want ourselves hidden and no one can tell the difference. He was in Fairview for a few years until he went over to the Tradepost and worked on some paints. He died two years later from a disease. You probably met him and suggested the card."

Sam closed his eyes for a moment, then opened them and looked down at the card. "Tell me she's alive."

"That I can't say for sure," Said Sachet, but when Sam looked up at him, his eyes filling with dread and fury, the artist shook his head. "No, I mean that I can't say for sure how she is today, this minute. She's in war with the Claimers, you know them?"

Sam nodded. Tom had been once awhile bumped into them and they are vicious vile men.

"But she is alive and well a couple of months ago. I met her in the Tradepost where she currently lived."

"You... saw her?"

"Once, for several minutes to talk to her. But yeah, I saw her, talked to her who she is, and I came back and painted her. One of her friends helped me on her description, but that card there... That's her now. A teenager."

"Tell me how you met her."

Sachet paused, his fingers beating a tattoo in the tabletop. "I promise to tell you about her, even what she had done in quite some time with the Tradepost and the Saviors."

The artist poured himself a third cup of coffee, thought about it, then for up and fetched a bottle of bourbon from a cupboard and poured a healthy shot into his cup. He didn't offer the bottle to Sam, who was fine with that. The stuff smelled like old socks.