Falling

I sat down shakily and tried to process the policeman's words.

"Their bodies were found at the edge of the forest. There wasn't much left of them to be found."

My stomach was churning. The room started to tilt, and the next thing I know I was in Asya's bed. Did I dream this? Is this real life? I began to sit up, but Asya's small arms guided me back into a laying position. I felt completely numb.

"Try to rest. You're going to need it if we are going to go to the festival tonight." Asya said, giving me a small smile.

I tried to speak, but my voice was hoarse and raspy. Probably from screaming or crying throughout the night. "I don't feel like going anymore." I managed to get out.

"Don't speak too soon," said Asya, her small smile grew into a wide grin. "I went out this morning and picked up some things." She leaped from the bed and pulled out some shopping bags. I gave her a confused glare. She then proceeded to empty the contents of the bags into my lap. There were two costumes. One for me and a little something for her. She also purchased some glitter and body paint. I raised an eyebrow at her.

"You bought yourself a costume? I thought you hated festivals?" I felt myself smile.

"Well I do. But I thought I could suck it up for one night to cheer my best friend up." She leaned in and hugged me tightly.

"V, I know that this doesn't make anything better. I know that your entire life has gone to shit. I didn't do this in a crappy attempt to cheer you up. I did this because you are my very best friend, and I'm never going to let you go through anything alone." Asya wiped the tears from my eyes and helped me sit up a little.

"I love them Asya, and you. We are going to have a good time tonight. I need to get all of this off my mind anyway. Thank you so much." I picked up the costumes to examine them.

"Get some sleep. You're going to need it. Tonight is going to be CRAZY!"

********************************************
Ren's POV
*******************************************
"There is something wrong. I have a bad feeling about this night, and it hasn't even started." Casper growled.

I sighed. "Yes brother, it seems that you not only have animal instincts, but psychic powers as well." He glared at me and I rolled my eyes.

"I mean, honestly. You're marching through a crowd of humans trying to find a mate that may or may not exist. What could possibly go wrong?" I teased. "It's certainly a fool proof plan. In fact, let's go round up the entire village and invite them all to join in. To hell with exposing magic to humans." I said sarcastically.

Casper slams his fist against the table. "Enough with your infernal babbling. I will go and claim my mate with or without you. So are you going to help me or not?"

I raised a dark eyebrow at him. "What's in it for me?"

Casper thought quietly for a moment. "Doesn't rebellion get you off or something? Seriously Ren, you're the next King of Fey. There is nothing that you don't already have."

"Fine I'll go. But I can't let you have all of the fun. I just might find a mate for myself." I reply.

"Faeries don't have mates." Grumbled Casper.

"Yes, but I'm the Prince of Fey. I can have whatever I want. Isn't that what you told me earlier?"

"If father finds out..." Casper began.