The Hallows Ball

Vera's POV
*******************************************
I expected to get a nap in before the ball, but instead I found myself surrounded by Fey that specialized in beauty. I winced painfully as a young Fey ruthlessly stabbed a bobby pin into my scalp. "Careful." I whined. I squinted as another dusted powder beneath my eyes.

"Ren!" I exclaimed as I saw him bustling through the doors. The women that surrounded me parted ways, finally finished with their torture. Ren stopped walking as soon as his eyes rested upon me.

"So where did Vera go?" He asked, grinning at me. "Can I take you to the ball instead?"

I rolled my eyes. "I know it's too much isn't it?"

"You look perfect." He breathed.

"I feel like I'm going to prom all over again," I chuckled, "Except my prom date was Asya."

"Prom?" Ren asked, completely puzzled.

"It's a stupid high school dance. It's a traditional thing for graduates."

"Well I assure you, this is going to be completely different than your high school prom." He winked.

"I want to take you somewhere." Ren whispered. "Right now." Chills went down my spine as his breath tickled my neck. He gently pressed a kiss to my exposed shoulder. He snatched my hand and spun me around. My golden dress swirled around me, and then I was abruptly pressed against his chest. He wrapped his arms around me, and planted a kiss to my forehead. "Come, my love." He chirped, clasping his hand around mine and tugging me along.

We walked through the halls of the castle until we reached the main stairwell. Unfortunately, elevators don't exist in fairy land, so by the time I reached the top of the stairwell my legs felt like jello. Ren pushed open the massive double doors, and I gazed at the view from the top of the castle.

"I want to give you something." Ren began. "It's a gift from an ancestor of mine." I watched as Ren pulled a long thin box from his pocket. He dropped the box into my hands. I opened the box to reveal a hand crafted paint brush. Strange markings and designs were engraved into the wood. It seemed to pulsate with life as I clutched the brush in my hand.

"This is beautiful." I breathed. "Thank you."

"This brush is enchanted in some way. It's an ancient magic. It's something that I, myself, have never felt before."

"How does it work?"

"You are asking ME how to use a paintbrush? I thought you were the artist!" Ren chuckled.

"The enchantments." I said rolling my eyes and grinning.

"My great grandmother was the last Fey to wield this weapon. She was incredible. This weapon is only limited by your own imagination. The fact that my father asked me to give this to you, means a great deal to me. He has kept this item in his possession ever since grandmother passed. I didn't think he would ever be able to part with it."

"So I can create anything from my imagination. Right now."

"Not yet." Ren said. "To activate the brush, it requires the blood of Fey."

Ren grasped my arm. "I fear that there are some people who will oppose a Queen from the human realm. But you must show them your power. Fey are intimidated by strength. Once they realize that you are one of us, we can run this kingdom together."

"I'm not sure if I'm ready to run a whole kingdom. I have to find my parents first. If they are alive somewhere, they must meet you. They have to see this place. I can't stop thinking about them."

"I know. And we will find them. I promised to do everything that I could do, and I won't let you down." Ren brought my hand to his lips. "After the ball, I will show you an old sketch of the Ancient Realm. It's a long shot- but you could paint the sketch onto the wall, possibly creating a portal. You are already gifted in portal magic, wielding this weapon will only intensify that gift.

Ren took the brush and inserted into a leather pouch, slipping it around my neck. It dangled right next to Asya's crystal necklace. I felt the magic from the brush as if it were radioactive in some way.

"We have to make an appearance tonight at least." Ren whispered. "So we might as well get it over with and dip out early. We can move easily at night, no one should suspect us in the Ancient City." I nodded in response, giving him a hopeful smile.

"Let's go, Prince Charming." I chirped. Ren rolled his eyes.

"You're only making my ego bigger."

********************************************
Asya's POV
*******************************************

Casper and I entered the ballroom. The crystal chandeliers cast patterns across the tall white ceilings. Great columns rose up from the middle of the room. And a giant statue was dedicated to each of the realms races. History was quite literally painted into the walls. Scenes of great battles seemed to take place right before my very eyes. The floor was a timeless looking kind of marble. It was almost as if Vera had painted to place herself.

I could see my place now in this new world. This is something that I never new I needed. The history behind this place is much richer than any history novel I have ever read. There was a reason I was turned. There is a newfound strength inside of me that I can access at any time, but it means completely abandoning my humanity. Is that something that I am seriously up for?

I turned to Casper as the crowds of Fey stood silent. I caught a glimpse of Vera and Ren descending the staircase ahead, but their steps soon fell silent. Casper was the first to speak.

"I would like to introduce Goddess Asya of the Moon." He announced proudly, I clutched the crescent necklace that was caressed against my chest. The crowd seemed to slowly begin chatting amongst themselves in disbelief.

"Show your true form, goddess." An elder growled from the crowd. "If you have truly slain the Moon Goddess, your wolf form should be godlike."

"I'm afraid that's unladylike." I snapped. "We are at a ball, aren't we?"

"Control yourselves." Casper warned. "You will have your proof soon enough." Everyone seemed to noticeably back off at the sharp orders of the Prince. A moment of silence passed, and then a voice broke the awkwardness.

"Carry on." Ren exclaimed, raising a glass of champagne from the opposite side of the room. The crowd then erupted into celebration, and soon the King began the count to lift the veil. As soon as the veil was lifted, everyone cheered. Seconds later, the noise fell silent once again.

Silver entities dwindled down from the ceiling. Some of them entered through the walls. They seemed to share similarities to the Fey that they previously embodied. It was like watching angels fall down from the sky. A tear slipped down my cheek. Vera's parents died in this forest. I wonder if she's expecting to see them again tonight.

Casper pulled me into the crowd. "Come, there is someone I would like you to meet."