CHAPTER THIRTY

Persephone

I can't believe I left him. But I had to do this if it wasn't for the life I had inside me. I was pregnant, I was three months pregnant. I knew I had to get away from him to get this chance. My child needs a better life. And If being away from the person I love is the risk I was going to take, then I'd leap at it. This was my chance at happiness, a new beginning.

I have been surviving on my own for weeks now. I moved a town away from my home. I needed to start anew even if it meant just being an hour away. It would be impossible for Zachary to find me here, he'd think I moved to another country or something. Knowing the way he thinks he'd assume that. I just needed to stay lowkey so a small town was it for me.

The first few weeks were hard because I've been living in a motel while I search for a job. And after a few days of searching, I finally had a chance, I was accepted in a small grocery store as a cashier. It was great, the people there weren't that chatty and that worked for me because I wasn't used to human interaction I'm a bit awkward you know? It was also crime-free, or so I heard. The population here barely reached a hundred so there were familiar faces.

It was peaceful and I loved it. But when I entered the third month of pregnancy that was where it became really hard. I had these weird cravings for marshmallows so I had to pack those things every day before going to work seeing as I work in a grocery store, it was accessible so I buy stuff there. Almost four months of no Zac, I was happy with that. I was at peace.

"Hey, Persephone. Let's close a bit early? I have an emergency at home no one will be here with you so I'm gonna send you home" Said Tony, my manager.

He was a middle-aged man, 50's I think. He was a bit grumpy but I didn't really feel like he was. He was sorta adorable in a way because he was so small and round.. and pudgy He was like an overgrown baby. That's why I never got scared of him, he just looked angry...and maybe sounded angry but he isn't.

"Go on Tony it's fine I can handle being alone at the grocery for a night. I got this" I said and shot him finger guns

He just let out a grunt.

"Whatever. Okay okay! Just make sure to lock the doors there okay? Especially the doors to the back alley!" He reminded me while he was walking away.

I just waved him off and started packing the groceries in front of me.

It was way past 10, and it was time to close the store. I headed to the door to the back alley to lock it. Checked the stocks, the aisles, the cashier and even cleaned up a bit. Damn it, if the pay wasn't good I wouldn't be here. But I had to save up for this bundle of joy I'm carrying. I secured the place and went to the back alley to throw the trash. When I finished dumping the trash, I heard a bottle fall to the ground. Damn! I was having a heart attack now. Damn cats for wandering around.

So I hurriedly went out of the alley when I almost made it to the end someone was leaning against the wall beside me and blew out his smoke causing me to cringe. Crap! Man! I have a baby inside of me! Get that shit away from me. Covering my face I walked away. But someone grabbed me, and it wasn't the man leaning on the wall it was another guy. This is where I panic right? Sweat started trickling from my forehead to the side of my face as I absorb what the hell was happening. He dragged me to the corner and cornered me.

The guy who was smoking threw his cigarette to the ground and stomped on it. I couldn't do anything, I was frozen.

I thought I could manage in a situation like this. That I'd be strong enough if an unfortunate event like this one arises. But I wasn't, I was beyond scared. Mortified doesn't even suit it.