CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

Philip's POV

It was true she looked so beautiful, but who would have thought that months later she would be treated poorly. She didn't deserve that, as someone who came from a broken home I knew how it affected my mother. My father was a drunk bastard and I've seen with my own eyes how he mistreated my mother, and how my mother stupidly accepted him with those false promises from him. Promise after promise he still didn't change, I never hoped for that. Because I knew guys like him couldn't change. They don't have the ability to change. When I was old enough, I finally had enough. I fought for my mom and got my dad into rehab. Just like the bastard that he is, he didn't change so I sent his ass back to jail. Worked my way to get into a nice college and studied Psychology because I wanted to study how their minds work, how abusive minds work. I wanted to understand why my dad did what he did.

"Phillllyyyy!" Peony called out for me and I broke out from the trance I was in while looking at her wedding picture. She tugged at my sleeves and saw her look up to.

"Beautiful isn't she?" She asked peering up at the big picture in front of her.

"Yeah, she is." She said a warm smile on her face.

I just nodded at her.

"They look happy. I hope someday I find him." She said

My ears suddenly perked up.

"Him?" I asked looking at her crouched on the floor hugging her knees still looking at the picture.

"Yep, the guy I'll be with till I grow old. You know the one who gives me flowers when I least expect it. Chocolates, he'll take me on dates and sing for me from time to time. The ones we see on Nicholas Sparks' movies? I'd like that someday...I just have to find him. And he has to find me." She said a sad smile on her lips now.

"He's on his way don't worry. You are on yours too. Just be patient Panini" I said and patted her head.

"look at him! He looks so grumpy. Is he not happy?" He said pointing to Zac.

"Looks like it," I answered simply and went down to her level and sat beside her on the floor

"Aren't those who marry, fall deeply in love?" She asked

I swear, she asks these questions and sometimes I don't even know the answers too. She is this young naive hopeless romantic.

"They start off like that but.." I trailed off,

Do I have the heart to break it to her? The reality? The reality that love isn't enough sometimes.

"But?" She said looking at me

Those innocent eyes.

"But sometimes love isn't enough. When you get married, you take everything they have. Even the bad sides." I said

"You accept even if it breaks you. Even if it tears you apart" She said in a voice I don't recognize.

She's back.

"Yes, you do. Because that is love" I said

"Love. Such a funny feeling, but fleeting. It could make or break you" She said

It sure is. That's why some of us refuse to accept the concept of love. Because we know how fragile it is. I was stunned by her words and I wasn't able to reply to her.

"huh?" She asked

"Huh?" I asked back

She just giggled and started running to the garden.

"Hey let's play outside! Philly!" She said laughing and then suddenly she stopped dead in her tracks and looked around.

"The baby! Prince is crying!" She said and dashed to the staircase and ran to her room.