Chapter 12

'You're sure about this?' Caspian asked.

Edmund nodded excitedly. 'Yes! I mean, it says it right there, in the book.'

Caspian and Peter were both leaning over the large leather-bound book on the desk in front of them. 'We can't be sure the book is right, though. I mean, if this method is based on a facts it would mean that the crystal would have already been destroyed.' Peter stated, making Edmund feel as if his brother's only purpose was to undermine his work.

'Or perhaps there was once before a similar crystal, which was destroyed this way.' Lucy offered, however her oldest brother still seemed unsure.

'What do we have to lose by trying, Peter?' Susan asked. 'I know you are worried, we all are. But this is a battle we have to fight on two fronts. Just stopping the army won't save us if someone has a piece of Crystal, which is powered by the Witch's staff. We need to consider all possible option which could destroy the blasted thing.'

'I agree.' Caspian stated. 'We'll ask the professor work on this, to destroy the staff, while we continue planning our defence strategy.

Peter sighed. 'So we all honestly believe that the Witch's crystal can be destroyed by dissolving it in some kind of potion?'

'We have to try, Pete.' The tone in Lucy's voice reminded Peter of when she was younger, of the first time they visited Narnia. She had always been the strongest believer in Narnia, in Aslan, and that no matter what they would be able to solve their problems. Peter had often wished for his little sister's faith, and often had no luck finding it. But she was right, it wasn't an option not to try it.

'Alright.' He handed the book back to Edmund. 'Take it to the professor and make sure this is his top priority.'

Edmund nodded and jokingly saluted his brother. 'Yes sir!' He quickly walked out of the room, stifling his laughter.

The weeks passed at a great speed, and with many long nights, busy days and important discussions between the 5 monarchs. In the 5 weeks the entire army of Narnians and Telmarines had been provided with armour and weapons and had been prepared and briefed for battle. But now, with the eminent attack only 2 days away, the citizens were starting to feel nervous. Last night Antonio Manchez and his men had attacked the guards, and tried to escape the castle, likely planning to join their army at the shore. Luckily, the guards had been prepared for such a risk, and the men had been captured and put into cells.

'You will never win!' Antiono had yelled as he spat in Peter's face, an action which earned him a punch in the face from the Telmarine soldier holding him.

'Have some respect for the High King, boy.' His voice no louder than a whisper, but laced with enough venom to make the strongest man fill with fear.

'He is no king. Just a low born kid who met a lion that put a crown on his head. That does not make you king. By the end of the week, this land will be mine, this castle will be mine, and your pretty sister will be my bride, or she will die.'

If looks could kill, let it be known that Antiono Manchez would have died many times that night. All three of the Kings glared at their prisoner, trying to contain their anger. The Telmarine soldier holding Manchez, hit him once again. 'Some respect for the Queen wouldn't hurt either.'

Caspian slowly walked towards Manchez and grabbed him by the collar. 'By the end of this week your ships will lie at the bottom of the eastern sea, your armies will be scattered, killed or taken prisoner, and neither you or your father will ever dare to set foot in this country again. You think that being a high born makes you a king, but Narnia does not care about who your father was. Narnia rallies behind the people who are willing to die to protect this land and its people. It will fight to defend the kingdom's wonders and treasures. And even if you win, you will never receive the loyalty that the Kings and Queen of old have gotten for one simple reason. Narnia stands behind Aslan, those who fight for him and those who have been blessed by him. And the Kings and Queens of old have proven time after time, that they deserve Aslan's trust as well as the Narnians'.' He released his grip on Manchez's collar, and punched the man in the face. 'And if we ever hear you speak that way about either of our beloved Queens, we will hand you over to the Minotaurs.'

Edmund grinned as he saw a new realization wash over Manchez's face. He had underestimated all of them. 'Take them away.'

'My pleasure, your majesty.' The soldier spoke, and the three kings watched as Manchez and his men were escorted to the cells. The shackles creating an eerie noise in the silence of the night.

By morning, the news of Manchez's attempted escape had spread all over the castle, and the soldiers laughed as stories spread about how easily the men were captured. The way Caspian had confronted Manchez had boosted morale among all soldiers, Telmarine and Narnian alike. They were ready to defend their country and home.

'I do not like the thought that all of you will be out there fighting with the armies.' Mrs. Pevensie announced that morning during breakfast. 'You have more than enough troops to fight for you, why would you go?! You could die out there!'

'Mother, war is messy and dangerous, the soldiers need to know what they are fighting for, they need motivation. If their Kings are fighting side by side with them, it will give them new strength, for they know it is not just their king sending them out to die, they know their king is willing to die for the cause as well.'

'See, dying. I do not like that word.'

Edmund sighed. 'Mother, we have fought before and won. And Lucy's cordial has been found again, so the risk of actually dying is quite low.'

'And we have no choice...' Mrs. Pevensie's attention was called to Susan, as she was shocked to hear her daughter's words. 'If we lose this battle, Manchez's men will take over Narnia, and we will either be killed or imprisoned for life.'

'He actually wanted to marry you.' Edmund muttered.

'A different form of lifelong imprisonment, but imprisonment none the less. We don't have a lot to lose mother. We need to fight these men to save the land we love, for if we don't, we'll have nothing left....'

'But can you win this fight?'

'We have to believe we can.' Lucy chimed. 'We have faced great odds before, and we have won before. I know Aslan said this is a battle he cannot help us with, but he would not let Narnia fall if he could save it. We have always won when we stood together, and I believe we will again. I have faith in Aslan, in Narnia, but most of all, I have faith in us.'

Peter smiled, proud of his youngest sister for keeping their spirits up and their hopes alive, for none one could do so, as she did.

The silence in the room was interrupted when the door opened loudly and the professor walked hastily into the room. 'The potion is finished, your Majesties, we will finally be able to see whether we can destroy the crystal.'

A/N Sooo not my best chapter, but I wanted to write something and continue the story before I was on break for too long. Anyway, I hope you still enjoy it. Let me know in the comments what you think.

There's a good chance that the next few chapter might take a bit longer, writing conclusions, big battle scenes etc. I always find those quite difficult, and I want them to be good enough before I post them here, so please bear with me.