Chapter 5

It was during breakfast the next morning that the 5 monarchs were graced with the presence of the three griffins.

'Good morning your Majesties' The first griffin said as all three bowed.

'Good morning.' Lucy beamed, receiving a smile from the magical creatures.

'Do you have any news?' Peter asked, eager to find out what was going on.

The griffins turned their attention back towards the High King. 'There is Your Majesty. We spotted one ship sailing towards Narnia. However it does not seem to be a military ship, it is not large enough for it. We overheard a man say something about being honoured that his father trusted him to be man to start the conversation with the Narnians. I believe our enemy is sending a diplomat.'

All 5 of the young monarch looked utterly surprised.

'When do you assume they will arrive?' Susan asked.

'No later than the day after tomorrow, perhaps already tomorrow. Their ships are sturdy and fast and it was already quite close to our shores.'

Caspian nodded. 'Well, then we shall be ready for this man.'

'Perhaps we should ask the guards to be extra attentive towards the conversation of the strangers during their stay. It might be a plan to spy on us.' Peter suggested.

Edmund nodded. 'I agree, it would be a good idea to have some extra ears.'

'Then we should ask some of the birds to help.' Lucy chimed in. 'I don't think they would suspect the birds to be listening in.'

Caspian smirked. 'If they do not know anything about Narnia's marvellous creatures, they wouldn't. Good idea. We should find some birds willing to help us.'

Peter looked at his youngest sister. 'Lucy, would you be so kind to ask the birds.'

Lucy nodded, eager to help. 'Of course.'

'If you have no further need of us, Your majesties, we will return to the how.' The griffin spoke. 'If you ever need us again for a scout mission, you have only to ask. We are always willing to serve our kings and queens.'

Peter nodded towards them. 'Thank you for your help. Go and rest.'

The griffins bowed and left the 5 monarchs to return to their breakfast.

It was around 2 in the afternoon when Caspian found Lucy sitting in the courtyard. She looked bored, and even somewhat upset. He walked towards the young girl.

'Hello Lucy. Is everything alright.'

Lucy looked up at him with a disappointed look on her face. 'Peter promised to take me out riding today, but now he and Ed are doing all sorts of planning for Machez's unexpected guest, and Susan couldn't come because she promised to read to the little kids form the burned village...'

Caspian gave her an understanding smile.

'I know what they're doing is important.' Lucy quickly stated. 'But I just feel a little disappointed.

Caspian kneeled in front of her. 'How about I take you out riding then?' He smiled and Lucy's face lit up. It was not a moment later when she dragged Caspian towards the stables.

It was nearly 2 hours later by the time they returned. Riding their horses back into the courtyard, Susan saw them coming and walked towards her. Caspian helped Lucy off her horse with gentle ease, which was rewarded with a kind smile on Susan's face, although he did not notice it.

'Did you have fun on your ride?' Susan asked, causing Caspian to jump slightly as he quickly turned around to face her. His face flushed red as he looked at her.

'Ah, yes.' He stammered. 'We did. Or at least I did, I hope you did so as well, Lucy.' He said as he turned his gaze towards the youngest Pevensie.

Lucy giggled. 'I had a marvellous time.' She stated. 'But I have to talk to Trumpkin about something, so I will see the 2 of you later.' And so she happily skipped off to the imaginary meeting with Trumpkin, and his herself behind a pillar to listen in on her sister's conversation with Caspian.

'Thank you for taking her out riding.' Susan smiled. 'She was quite disappointed when we told her we couldn't go with her. I half expected her to go out alone.'

'I am glad she didn't, we still do not know how dangerous it actually is out there with Manchez's men.' Caspian answered. 'But I was more than happy to accompany her. She is kind and funny and has become much like a sister to me.'

Susan laughed slightly. 'Well, then I am sure you have heard about her latest request then.'

Caspian looked confused. 'She is turning 13 in 2 weeks and would like a big ball for the occasion.'

Caspian smiled. 'I think it would be a grand idea. We have always held balls for the King's birthday, surely we can hold a ball for Lucy's birthday as well. And it is actually quite well timed, taken that our unwanted guest will arrive in a few short days. I am sure he would expect a ball in his honour. If we are already planning one for Lucy's birthday it is a good argument to not hold one for him.'

Susan laughed wholeheartedly. 'Oh I should have known there was a slightly sneaky streak inside you Caspian.'

Caspian smiled. 'You should have met my father. He was much worse. Always pulling jokes on people, and telling noble men to sod off because they were boring him or being rude. One time a noblemen told my father that my mother's dress was inappropriate, something about the colour. And he told the noblemen that him having 2 extra marital affairs was inappropriate, but that he hadn't made any comments about it either. Of course he stated that loud enough for everyone to hear and the poor man ran off embarrassed.'

'Oh dear.' Susan couldn't help but laugh. 'I think I would have liked your father.'

'I'm sure you would. And I think he would have liked you as well.' Caspian took her hand. 'Should we go for a walk in the gardens?' He asked.

'Yes, that would be lovely.'

And hand in hand they walked towards the large palace gardens.

Sorry the chapter is kind of short. Still hope you like it :)

Let me know in the comments what you think