047

_________

"Jace," Everest warned. 

"This time you're not getting away," Jace spit at Valentine. Everest vividly remembered the last time they saw Valentine. How angry Jace was when he couldn't find it in him to kill Valentine and how ashamed he felt when Everest barely hesitated. Everest knows about the anger Jace has stored alongside some kind of twisted love for the man. Everest couldn't blame him. The vicious man cared for him and more often than not, loved him as a father would. 

But what Everest feared most is how impulsive Jace would be in this moment, standing in front of a man he had grown to hate. 

"Finally ready to kill your own father," Valentine manipulated, finding the right kind of words to hurt Jace or anger him.  

"You abandoned me," Jace snarl. 

"I was protecting you," Valentine countered. "You weren't ready then, but you've grown." Everest took a step back, Clary in his arms, when he had turned towards Everest. "And so have you." 

"Leave him alone," Jace snapped. Everest held his stare, his glare piercing through Valentine but The man only smirked before turning back to Jace.  

"You've become the warrior I've trained you to be," Valentine said proudly. 

"You trained me well," Jace retorted softly. 

"And yet, I still have so much to teach you." Everest believed that the way Valentine taught and acted was on of a sociopath and that statement only brought chills against his skin. "I brought you here for a reason," Valentine continued. 

"Look, fight me, and watch your friends die,"  Valentine said. 

Everest watched as Alec and Magnus were dragged into the room, swords resting against their throats. Everest took a step forward only to have Clary pull him back with a tight grip on his arm.  "See, you are strong, but they make you weak." 

"Let us go," Clary spoke up. "You can have the book. We won't be able to stop you without it." 

"Ah, Clarissa." Valentine clicks his tongue, mockingly. "So like your mother... Willing to do anything for those that you love." Valentine took steps forward. "I'm touched, but...the boo was never part of my plan." 

Everest stared at him. "I want you both to wake up your mother. I know that you'll all join me eventually," Valentine spoke. "It's fated." Everest gripped onto Clary. 

"You ready?" he asked Jace. Everest watched him look around the room but Everest saw his answer before he even spoke it. 

Jace lowered his seraph blade. "If I go with you, promise me you won't hurt them," Jace decided. 

"You have my word," Valentine promised. 

"No," Everest spoke out. 

"I'm sorry," Jace apologized. 

Jace," Clary choked softly. "What are you doing? You can't be serious." 

Everest listens to the tremble in his sister's voice. "Valentine is wrong. You're not like him. I'm not. Everest is not. You're not!"