045

LAST EPISODE OF THE SEASON GUYSS. FINALLY, RIGHT??

_________

Everest watched him stand up, a sudden anger revealed in Jace. "I should have killed him," he growled. "I should have killed him." 

Everest stood up. "Maybe, but what would have become of you? Huh? No matter what hate or anger you have for him, that man raised you, you wouldn't have killed him," Everest argued. 

Jace turned around. "You would have," he said. 

Everest stared at him. He was right, Everest would have. He made that decision ever since he threatened his mother and sister. It had just become absolute because now he has Jace.  Don't get the structure that is Everest, wrong. He is no murder. It's the opposite actually, he cared about life and preserving it, becoming a doctor was an option if the urge to draw wasn't so strong and the feeling in his chest hadn't told him it wasn't his calling. But even then, people grow and as they grow, the darkness bound to them grows with them until there is, but that one final moment where the universe or something greater decides whether you are strong enough to bear the darkness or become it.  "Yes, I would have. But I wonder every moment since then 'What would have become of me?' You fear the idea of being him, not Valentine himself and that's okay. Because that fear, it what separates you and him." 

Jace had never had anyone offer the words Everest had just given him. No one was able to put his mind at ease for just a moment but he did. Jace was angry, at Valentine and at Jocelyn for never giving him the childhood he deserves and for never giving him the family he always wanted. Jace had thought it was too late for him and Everest but Everest was willing to try and that meant more to him than he was able to admit. "Okay," Jace mumbled. His shoulders were still heavy and his heart was still bruised but he was okay for now. 

"Clarissa, I didn't realize you still had such big ears," Everest joked looking towards the door. Jace looked at him, confusion on his face as he glanced back. Clary appeared her cheeks blushed a shade of red.  

"How do you do that?" Clary exclaimed.

"A mother always knows," Everest said mimicking movement similar to those of Magnus as he walked towards the door 

"You're not my mother, Everest," Clary argued as she walked after him. Jace followed them, amused by the two. 

"At the rate your acting, I might as well be," Everest said making Clary roll her eyes.

"You finally have a boyfriend and now you don't know how to act," Clary argued back. 

Everest suddenly became flustered. "He's not," Everest stuttered making Clary laugh. "Shut up, you.  Let's go find Simon, talk to him about Camille." 

Jace laughed. "Way to almost give your brother a heart attack," Jace mumbled to Clary. 

"I call that winning," She said walking after Everest. 

Whether either of they realized it or not, Everest had just created stable ground in the storm that Valentine created between the three.  

______________

"Simon, wait," Everest called.