Chapter Thirty-Six: Explanations

Start from the beginning

"I can't just overlook this occurrence," all of us tensed, especially me and Edward, "but I think that we can all agree that the Corporal was power greedy and would do anything to climb higher. Getting to the Captains would have led to another promotion for himself, and Miss Evans... he would have probably blackmailed her into a marriage of some kind."

If only he knew.

When my hands were finally clean, I moved the bowl and washcloth to the ground before I fixed my hair once more. At least I would be somewhat more presentable.

Dusk had fallen, leaving one question still in the air.

"Where will Miss Evans be staying this evening?"

"With me," Edward barely gave anyone else a chance to speak. "With Thomas in the medic tent, his cot is empty. She'll stay with me for the evening."

"And tomorrow? What is the plan?" I bit my lip, realizing that I really didn't think any of this through.

"I can ride back to the plantation, or back to the town I came from. I have a friend I could stay with-"

"The town that tried to kill you? Really Christina?" I let out a tired sigh, turning my gaze back towards Gabriel.

"Do you have any better ideas?"

"Plenty." We entered a staring match, much to the annoyance of the other two men.

"Please don't start fighting again. It didn't go well the last time," Edward rubbed his forehead, obviously just as tired and peeved as everyone else.

The tension in the room simmered down into nothing. I watched as the older man turned his gaze over each of us before sighing. "Please, take your leave and get some rest, all of you."

I stood when the other two did, bowing my head as they saluted. We all exited the tent, passing the guards who stopped me from entering. While my hands were no longer bloody, and my hair in a much different fashion, I still looked like a mess.

I followed them through the camp, towards another far side where more tents were set up. They weren't nearly as grand as the general's, but it was still better than the average soldier. Gabriel walked towards one, gesturing us to follow him in.

He lit a fire in a small pit in the center, while Edward and I casually glanced around the small space.

"So, are you a spy?" Gabriel moved his gaze to my eyes, waiting for me to answer. I opened my mouth but shut it the second Edward spoke up.

"Yes." His back was to us since he had apparently busied himself with organizing some papers on the Lieutenant Colonel's desk.

I gently cleared my throat, gaining his attention. "He wasn't asking you, Edward."

He opened and closed his mouth, realizing how stupid he was for not thinking before responding.

"I'm surprised that no one else knew actually, especially that time Thomas was under the influence during the Christmas Eve party," Edward's eyes widened, taken aback from my comment, "luckily I was the only other person around."

I finally turned my gaze back to Gabriel, who was leaning back with an annoyed expression. "But yes, I am also a spy."

I swallowed a lump that had formed in my throat, terrified on how he'd react. He had protected us for so long, and I was afraid that kindness was about to expire.

"I have harbored a family of spies?" I felt a chuckle rise within me, but I quickly forced it down before it could escape.

"In essence."

Silence followed for a while, leaving the tent in an awkward frozen state. Slowly, Edward made his way towards the exit. "I have a feeling that it isn't me you wish to speak with, Lieutenant Colonel."

Gabriel waved his hand, silently dismissing him. "My tent is to the right when you are done, Christina."

I nodded, watching his form disappear behind the fabric.

When he was gone, I slowly made my way to the man who still sat on the ground, the flames from the fire lighting his features. I lowered myself on shaky legs, too tired to stand and too afraid to go anywhere else.

"How much of it was a lie?" His eyes remained glued to the flames that licked the air, not moving to me or anything else in the closed-off space.

"Less than you think," his eyes moved my direction ever so slightly but moved back to where they were a second later.

"What you said earlier, was it in the spur of the moment?" My face flushed, and I was grateful he wasn't facing me to see it. Gently, I reached my hand out and took his own. I hardly noticed how my limb trembled until he grasped it in his steady palms.

"No, I just... I didn't realize until that moment. I thought... I knew you would find out eventually. I'm no better than a liar, a common thief even. I kept telling myself that I couldn't possibly love you, I convinced myself even. But you-you constantly protect me, care for me, you do everything in your power to keep me safe! Even when a man pulls his gun on me for an accusation that's true!"

His other hand fell on my cheeks, brushing away the few tears that managed to fall.

"I hate you so much," I finally muttered under my breath.

His small smile returned for the first time in ages. "I know."

"I wish you'd just leave me alone."

"No, you don't."

"I deserve to be in Thomas' position."

"Never."

I let out the breath I was holding. This man would be the death of me.

"Marry me." It wasn't a question this time. That was the first thing I noticed. The second thing was how serious he was being while still have a smile lighting up his features.

"No! You shouldn't-"

He kissed me, short and sweet.

"Why would you want to marry a spy, to begin with?"

"Who doesn't want to marry the spy they fell in love with? My question is why won't you marry a British officer?"

My eyes bore deep into his. We were sitting closer together than what was allowed, but I doubted anyone was going to say anything to us, much less see us, to begin with.

"Because I fell in love with him, and I'm afraid of the consequences he may face when people realize who I am." Silence surrounded us for several moments.

"Just put on the ring and leave the rest to me."