Chapter Nineteen: Brothers

Someone was already in there.

I could hear the shuffling of papers, and footsteps walking around as if the person was pacing.

The culprit was obviously a male, wearing boots. Then there was the staggering with each step, so he must have been drunk as well.

A drunkard spy. How lovely.

When footsteps came down the hall, I hid. Underneath the decorative table with its lacy cloth to cover my existence. With my skirts gathered in my arms to make sure they didn't peek out from underneath the cloth, and my breath being held as deeply as possible, I watched as another pair of boots sternly entered the office.

The door closed behind the man, and hushed voices accompanied them. They sounded angry as if they were having an argument, but I couldn't make out any words.

Slowly, I maneuvered my way towards the door, cracking to open enough to see who was inside. They were far enough away for me to not see their faces, but I could clearly make out their conversations.

"-court her. What do we do?"

"Do? We do nothing, it isn't our life to control."

"Really? You expect me to believe that you are perfectly comfortable with our superior and our sister courting? What if they get engaged? Or married?"

It couldn't be...

I shifted around the door, trying to find a better angle to see through the gap. I could barely make out their red coats. There was no possible way for me to see their faces from my viewpoint. I'd have to open the door and walk in, which wasn't an option.

"Did you at least find anything new?" More rustling and crinkling papers. What were they doing in the general's office, to begin with? Originally, I thought whoever was in there to be a spy, but my brothers couldn't possibly...

"No, all the usual. All the correspondents write about is the new General Greene. Apparently, he's effectively taken his post and built up the morale of the soldiers. Didn't we meet Greene a couple of years back? Seemed like a nice fellow, going on and on about how he would change the strategies of battle-"

"Please be quiet," Edward sighed, and more movement continued inside the room. I found myself caught between wanting to enter the room, or leaving the scene. I didn't want to be caught by them or anyone else. "Do you really think we should let her court him?"

Silence. Even the shuffling of papers stopped.

"We can't decide for her. We haven't been in her life more the six months the past three -almost four- years! Even if we told her, no, and even if we told him to stay away, the two will find a way to meet. He has this look in his eyes every time he looks at her, and while I don't like knowing it's my sister he's looking at, I like the look he gives. He doesn't desire her body. He craves her mind and company. That's more than we can ask for when it comes to suitors for our little sister," Thomas may not have been sober, but he spoke his mind clearly. The usual child-like immaturity was out the window and replaced with the philosophical man he hid from the word.

"But can we let the enemy chase after her? We talked about this if we're found out-"

"Then she'll be taken care of. He won't let anything happen to her."

I pulled away from the door, deciding I had heard enough. I didn't want to hear any more, especially when it came to Gabriel.

I was pulling him along! I was acting as though I have these deep feelings for him, all because my stupid commander gave me orders! Why couldn't I have been blessed with the plain looks of an ordinary woman? I am no angelic beauty, but I am attractive enough to get attention from men that are not welcome. Had I been less attractive, and less successful at my duties to my country, then I would have nothing to do with this mess.