Chapter Twelve: Sibling Time

"Watch out for that glass shard!" As soon as Edward spoke, Thomas lifted me, stopping me from stepping on the broken glass left in front of the stone bench. I glared at it, only removing my gaze when Edward removed the piece of glass and placed it inside one of his pockets to dispose of later.

Thomas placed me back on my feet, finding comfort in the height difference between us, which is what made it so easy for him to lift me.

"Don't act so smug! It upsets me how you act the same way you did three years ago!" With a shudder, I continued walking, wanting to see more than the same parts of the garden over and over again. There was a deeper section that I had yet to see, which would serve well for us to talk as siblings.

"Yes, and it upsets me that you act completely differently! What happened to our little sister who found men boring and unworthy of her attention?" I chuckled at Thomas, who pouted in return. Even Edward seemed to think long and hard on how much I had changed.

A giggle from somewhere else stopped me from retorting back. 

Turning to face the noise, I found Madeline with her face buried behind her fan, with her arm linked with the Lieutenant Colonel. I turned back around before he could see my glare. 

"Yes, our little sister who would scream into her pillow rather than hit walls!" I lifted my arms to smack Edward but cringed the second I flexed my wrist. Concern flashed across his face as he gently took my hand into his own. "It hasn't been healing very well, has it?"

I shrugged, feeling the stares of the couple behind me. "It has been healing, just slower than I would like."

"So you're the one who broke the wall!" Madeline was in front of me the next moment, a joking look of sternness on her face. "Why, I should tell Father."

"I wonder why on earth someone would hit a wall," I nearly jumped at the Lieutenant's voice, but reminded myself to keep a cold composure around him. "One must either be insane or insanely stupid to do such a thing."

"Don't-" I silenced Thomas with a glare, before turning to face the faulty man.

"I hit the wall out of anger. After being constantly reminded of my helplessness, of how weak and stupid I am, and how I'm not even worth an insult," he looked stunned for a moment. "I eventually lost my composure. It happens to us all at some point, but you need not worry yourself, Lieutenant Colonel, it has absolutely nothing to do with you now, does it?"

With a smile, I linked both my arms with my brothers, sauntering off in victory.

"He insulted you?" The smirk of triumph fell off of my face as I nodded, trying to brush off their glances. Edward had always been more reserved and observant. I figured he'd know as soon as I finished speaking. "And you didn't tell us because of your pride?"

"I didn't tell you because it does not concern you. Both of you have titles, as well as ownership over your belongings that are your possessions alone. I'm in debt to the general and his family, they have given me everything and so much more," I hesitated once I saw their discomfort. "Let's not talk of such things."

We turned a corner, and it seemed as though it was up to me to lead the conversation. "What shall we do when the war ends? Build a new plantation? Do we still own that property? Perhaps we should find somewhere new, somewhere far away from Charles Town and South Carolina-"

"Christina, why are you crying?" I hadn't even noticed. I unwound my hands from their arms, taking a step back as I lifted my uninjured hand to my face. Indeed, my cheeks were wet. Was the reminder of why I hurt myself the cause? Or how drastically my life has changed in the past month or so?

Two pairs of arms enveloped me, reminding me of times long forgotten. I had longed for the feeling of security, and for the first time since the British battalion quartered in my home, I felt it. I felt the sense of home, of childhood memories. Suddenly, all was well with the world.

"Captain Evans, and Captain Evans, you are both being called to the General's office for your next assignment," the messenger eyed the three of us warily like he saw something private. Perhaps he has, but I saw it more like an unjust interruption.

The two disappeared once more.

I followed them with my eyes before eventually walking back towards the manor myself. As I did, I caught Sabrina with a boy her age, dressed in the red coat I had become so adjusted to seeing. I watched as he leaned forward, placing a chaste kiss on her cheek before rushing off. I smiled but was quickly put off by the fact that a girl five years younger than me has been kissed on the cheek by a boy not related to her, while I only experienced the polite kiss on the hand as a greeting.

"That was Tristan," I nearly screamed when I felt Timothy's arms wrap around my hips. The young boy gave me a wolfish grin, whether it be because he was flirting like the child he was, or because he had dirt on his sister, I didn't know. "He's in Mr. Wright's battalion."

I ignored his lack of title towards the Lieutenant Colonel.

Timothy then led me around the garden, making me bend down to hold his arm as he pointed out his favorite flowers. Eventually, he gave up on acting like a polite company and chose to run around, playing with a butterfly. I sat under a tree, finding his youthful energy enough for the both of us.

At some point, a blushing Sabrina joined us, a grin spread across her face. I couldn't stop the smile on my face as she lowered herself beside me.

"Is he that perfect for you?" She was shocked at my question but brushed it off.

"Have you ever been in love with a man before, Miss Christina?" I returned my gaze to her brother, thinking long and hard on her question.

"No, but I also doubt that love exists, especially for someone like me," I stopped once I felt her hand rest on my arm. I smiled at her, trying to reassure her. "I don't suppose that comforts you, though? Well, in my humble opinion, you need to take your time. Remember that there's more to life than just men. Find your purpose first, then see how they like you then. What if you discovered you had a talent for writing stories after you were married, and wanted to share your talent with the world. What if he won't let you publish them? What if he forces you to stop writing all together?"

I stopped, watching her face crumble into rejection and fear. "But, I suppose you are already an accomplished musician, and I know you're smart enough to fall for a man with a healthy respect for both your music and music in general."

"You love me, don't you Miss Christina?" Timothy joined us once more, looking at me with big eyes, begging for attention.

"Of course, you're like the little brother I always wanted," He looked hopeful like he wanted more than that. "You'll have to get much older before I can have any other sort of feelings."

With a pout, he laid himself out, resting his head on my lap and his feet on his sister's. Sabrina was too occupied in her thoughts to care, so I brushed his hair with my uninjured hand, letting him fall asleep in the shade of the tree.

Little did I know, that four gazes settled on me through a window.