Chapter Twenty-Six: The Meeting

The dinner table was set, and the guests were all speaking animatedly to one another. Everything was normal. That was until Madeline began to cling to Gabriel's arm as he leaned back, trying to be polite and listen to whatever she was saying.

He was obviously uncomfortable. His jaw was clenched, his shoulders tense, and his eyes narrowed. Everything about his body language screamed annoyance, yet the girl persisted. He finally moved his arm out of her reach, pretending to brush something off of his coat.

The grip on my glass tightened when she scooted her seat even closer to the ill-at-ease man. At this point, she was practically on top of him. Her lack of decorum was disturbing and unwelcome. Honestly, what possesses her to act in such a manner? Surely her father does not encourage this? If I acted in such a way, my brothers would send me far away, to our cousins in New Jersey perhaps.

Taking a larger sip than what was usually acceptable, I tipped my head back, letting the wine make an impact. Hardly enough to do anything, but enough to give me courage. 

I sat up a bit, and with a large smile, I cleared my throat. Men from all around the table gave me half their attention, while still remaining in their prior conversations. Gabriel gave me all of his, as well as Thomas and Edward. Even the General seemed to humor me with his gaze.

"Madeline, isn't it a bit rude to badger the Lieutenant Colonel when he obviously had no interest in your topic of conversation? I apologize if this comes out as dreadfully embarrassing, but I'm afraid someone may start rumors about the way you tend to act around him," my sentence was interrupted by Edward, who chocked on his own wine. Obviously, no one expected me to say anything. Thomas barely contained his laughter as he hit our brother's back, receiving nothing more than a glare from the second party.

"I agree," Sabrina spoke up from the other end of the table, her lips curving deviously. "We all know the Lieutenant Colonel has his eyes set on one woman, and I do believe it is very unbecoming to act as you have around a man who is courting another."

The wives of the officers began to whisper, their fans covering their faces. The men seemed far more pleased to simply laugh and joke about the situation, drinking their wine and clinking their glasses. 

Madeline opened her mouth, ready to attack those of us who spoke, but the glare from her father forced her to close her mouth once more. "We will talk later."

I had been told that by my own father three times in my life: once when I threw mud at a boy who ruined my favorite dress, another when I decided I wanted a pair of trousers like my brothers, and the third when I wanted to state my opinions openly. From those three times I learned one thing; avoid being told that as much as possible.

Madeline moved her chair back to its proper place, though the scraping of feet only caused the whispering to increase. For a moment, I felt terrible for speaking up, but then I remembered I had every right to in these people's eyes.

If only she knew that Gabriel will be all her's in another month or so.

I lifted my glass gingerly, studying the liquid as it sloshed around. I could feel the small pout on my lips, something I always did when I was neither deep in thought or completely thoughtless. 

"May we be excused, General?" Gabriel's voice broke me from whatever state I was in, though the hand he had placed on the small of my back went almost completely unnoticed by me. With a nod, we were released from the table, as well as the accusing eyes of Madeline.

~~

The garden was cold when one did not dress properly for the season, but I said nothing. I found that complaining was out of the question with the peace that surrounded the evening.