Chapter Thirty-Six: Explanations

I wasn't allowed into the medic tent. Because I was a woman, and because I had no business there, to begin with.

By the time we all caught up with the rest of the army, they had set up camp. No one really seemed to notice the absence of three major officers, but their return was more than noticeable.

Thomas was rushed into a tent, with Gabriel and Edward going in behind, but I was left outside, listening to the murmured voices and pained screams. At some point, I had begun to pace, which caught the attention of many men.

I was covered in blood, my hair was half out of its tie, and my dress was ripped in multiple spots. It was a sight to see.

After nearly two hours of me pacing and ignoring the eyes and curious gazes of others, Edward and Gabriel emerged. I handed Edward his coat back, which I had luckily grabbed when we left the site. He tiredly nodded, shrugging it on the next second.

The two began to walk off in the same direction, so I followed behind. I wasn't sure if they wanted me to, but I had nowhere else to go at the moment. Eventually, they entered a grand tent, with guards standing at the ready outside. They were let in without a moment's hesitation, but I was stopped the minute I took a step after them.

"What-"

"She's with me." Gabriel barely looked at me, but his eyes finally seemed to notice my haggard looks. Nonetheless, he turned away and continued onward, leaving me to quietly pass through the guards.

"Good God!" The general was less than pleased by my appearance. He dramatically fell back into his seat, rubbing his eyes. I could only grimace and turn my gaze elsewhere, hoping he wouldn't make any more comments. "Dear Lord Miss Evans! Are you quite alright?"

My eyes must have revealed something, because he quickly poured some water from a pitcher and into a bowl, handing it and a washcloth over to me. "Do clean yourself. You look as though you've been to battle!"

I was ushered to the other side of the room, where a small chair was placed. I set the bowl in my lap, quickly working on my hands. The dried blood did not want to come off without a fight, especially from under my nails.

"What on earth happened to you three?" The others were seated as well, far away from the little corner I was left in.

"Five, actually, and it's a long story." Edward grimaced as well. He wasn't sure if he could get out of what he said earlier.

He admitted to being a spy. Such a thing was not taken lightly. Even if he did make the general believe it was for the protection of his sister, he wasn't sure that he'd be left completely alone. He'd have guards watching him at all times. Everything he did would be questioned.

"Corporal Nottingham did exactly as you suspected he would and went rouge in order to act upon his suspicions," Gabriel cut Edward off, taking the matter into his own hands. "He turned his accusations towards the Captains Evans and lured them into the forest. Thomas is facing a leg injury caused by a bullet to the thigh, while Nottingham has been... dealt with for the last time."

"Yes, yes, that's good. But why is..." I could feel all of their eyes on me. I moved my own eyes up, not knowing what to say.

"I... I heard from Madeline that Corporal Nottingham had accused me of espionage. I-"

"Miss Evans came after hearing that not only her but her brothers were under suspicion from a slave. She was dragged into it as well, as you can see." Why was Gabriel covering for all of us? Out of all of us, he had the most to lose if someone knew he was lying.

The General leaned back in his seat, grabbing a glass of whiskey without even looking. I watched as he took a swig, then another, and another. I raised an eyebrow, but the other men didn't really seem to notice.