Chapter Thirty-One: Confusion

~Third Person Perspective~

Almost the entire battalion stared at the Lieutenant Colonel's tent in fear. No one thought the girl would refuse his offer - and so hastily. Most girls would be dying in excitement, planning before even being asked the question to begin with. 

Everyone knew from the get-go that Christina Evans was special. Of course, there were several men who learned the hard way several minutes prior, but everyone else knew better than to mess with the girl. She was strong-willed and strong-minded. 

There was a burning flame in her eyes, and when she first stepped into the camp it became a raging fire. 

The tent did nothing to make their argument private. By now, everyone in South Carolina probably knows the couple's personal issues. At least, the entire plantation must have heard.

Everyone watched with bated breath as the man exited the tent, glaring at everything around him. A defeated look passed over the crowd when they finally realized that the old Lieutenant Colonel was back. The kinder and more patient version of himself has been defenestrated.

"Eavesdropping? Twenty laps around the camp. Now." Without a word, the men set off and began what was only the beginning of their punishment.

Meanwhile, Edward and Thomas were completely baffled.

"Why did she- why did she say no?" Edward peered out of the tent, seeing his superior glaring at the ground beneath his feet. They had some time to talk before his self-loathing would diminish into hatred for the rest of the world. "I don't understand."

"Perhaps she felt under pressure? It isn't so uncommon for girls to reject their first offer of marriage," Thomas tried to act completely nonchalant, but in reality, he was just as bewildered as his brother.  "Or perhaps she has a secret flair for the dramatics and wants a romantic tear-filled proposal rather than... whatever that was."

Edward turned his gaze to his brother, his expression empty. "Have you met Chris? The most dramatic thing she's done is put Madeline in her place at the dinner party a week ago."

With a sigh, Edward let the flap close as he sat on the ground. Most of their items had been packed and stored away, ready to move. It was only a couple of days ago that they were told to be prepared for the move north. Now, they had to be ready to leave whenever the general felt like the time was right.

Which may be in an hour, or in a week.

~~

Corporal Nottingham always knew something was off about the Evans girl.

She was more intelligent than most of the girls her age and didn't seem to care for any of the usual activities they participated in. She hardly danced at parties, preferring to state her opinion among other high ranking officers who accepted and welcomed her.

Officers he himself lacked respect from.

Then, he heard her talking to someone in the garden. It was too dark to be sure of anything, but he could swear there was a man with her. He could swear he heard a man's voice, and the Lieutenant Colonel had long since left her at the time.

And now, he could swear that someone else was there. In broad daylight! 

He glared at her through the window, watching as the figure disappeared through the hedge maze. He watched as she frantically tore something, letting whatever it was litter the ground. He watched as she herself fell to the ground, sitting in the grass without a care in the world.