Chapter 8- Unlikely Ally

Start from the beginning

“Then why did you?”

“I’m going to confront Valentin about who he is,” I mumbled the words, not sure if this was necessarily the right decision to do. The whole thing about Valentin, not Michael of course.

“Then what? You going to go out for some pie?” Michael questioned sarcastically.

“No, I’m going to leave.” Not even looking at him I knew Michael gave me an odd look with a raised eyebrow.

“He’s not going to let you leave,” Michael said with a breathy laugh. “He’s not ever going to let you go.”

“That’s where you come in,” I finally turned to look at him. “You’re going to hold him back while I get away.”

At that Michael’s face pales and he looks as if I’m the mad one and he’s the sane one even though he’s wearing a prison uniform. I knew Michael was terrified of Valentin and would rather be locked up in a cell for his entire life if that meant he was safe. Putting him near Valentin practically guaranteed his death.

“He’ll kill me,” Michael confirmed my thoughts.

“You owe me,” I shot back just as quickly. “You do this, I’ll make sure he never bothers you again.”

“That’s if I live after that day,” Michael practically shouts and I give him a dead look. He looks like he wants to continue ranting, but knows that it would fall upon deaf ears. “He won’t ever bother me again?”

“No,”

“I’m guessing that I’ll owe you something in return,” He continued knowing that the deal wasn’t as simple as it appeared to be. “That just stopping lover boy from following you won’t be enough.”

“Whenever I need help, I’ll call you and you will come running,” Now that sounded like a classic badass line that I almost patted myself on the back for.

At this Michael jumps up and starts pacing, but the chains around his legs and wrists make it a little difficult for him to do. The only noise are his restraints clanking as he ponders the offer for freedom on the run or if he wanted to go back to his confined cell.

“Well I didn’t get a call, but it looked like you needed help,”

Michael had accepted my offer and I hadn’t seen him since and now he was here after saving my life which made me think that this was all a dream. His hair was shorter than I remembered and he didn’t look as wild or as crazy as he did when I first met him nearly three years ago. He had a stern look on his face, but I could see a hesitant smile edging forward.

“Thank you,” I say walking over towards him and away from the dead bodies, wondering what we should do.

Without saying anything Michael pulls out a few wet wipes and hands them to me which I gratefully accept as my fingers were starting to get sticky. Wiping off the blood I shoved the wet wipes in my pockets and look at the scene, knowing that others would be quickly behind us, ready to finish what these guys hadn’t.

“The others will find them,” My own voice sounded cold and unforgiving to my ears. “They’ll bury them.”

At least that’s what I would say to help myself fall asleep at night.

“Aura are you okay?” Iris yelled running forward. At the sight of Michael she pulled out her gun and he raised his hands looking quite bored. “Step away from her Michael.”

“He’s working for me Iris,” I interjected before she could pull the trigger. “Put the gun down.”

“He’s been working for you?” She looked at me like I had a second head. “For how long?”