Chapter Two~Aodhan

I looked to my left and watched as Elsanna held her hand to her bandaged side. I figured that she must be bruised from her fights. Then she slumped over and slid from her horse's saddle.

"Elsanna!" I shouted, jumping from my horse, Tempest, and running to her crumpled form on the ground. Her eyes were closed and her breathing was shallow. I lifted Elsanna into my arms and Barrow returned to her homestead.

I hoisted myself into Tempest's saddle and held Elsanna in front of me. My hand accidentally passed over her bandage and when I pulled it away, my fingers were sticky with warm blood. Her head fell back against my shoulder as I raced for Agnes' home. She was the only healer in the city. Surely she could fix the milletian.

"Agnes!" I yelled as her garden came into view. She came out from behind one of her many plants and went pale when she saw me dismount from Tempest with the unconscious girl in my arms.

"Holy Lylimark! Aodhan what happened?" She gasped, running to me.

"I don't know! I was bringing her to you to be treated. She did not tell me how seriously she was injured!" I said.

"Come in here, there's a bed you can lay her down on. Be gentle, Aodhan, I do not yet know the full extent of her injuries," Agnes said, her voice low as she opened the door to her home. I quickly stepped inside and located the small bed in the corner of the cozy room.

"What is her name?" Agnes inquired, grabbing various herbs and potions from a nearby cabinet.

"Elsanna," I said, laying her down on top of the bed and removing her inventory and alchemy bags. Once her head touched the pillow, I decided it would be best to remove her Hebona Circlet so that Agnes could monitor her fever.

"Pretty name for a Milletian. What does she do?" Agnes asked as she grabbed a quilt that was hanging over a chair to throw over Elsanna.

"She's an alchemist and a Paladin," I said, holding the silver circlet with an amethyst in my hands. Elsanna looked so small, laying there in pain on the bed.

"I suggest that you go back to the castle. I'm sure the Guard is wondering where their captain is," Agnes began, "you can come back in the morning."

"But Agnes-"

"Go. Come back in the morning."

And with that, I looked down at Elsanna's unconscious form on the bed, and walked out of the house into the garden.

When I got back to the castle, the guards stared as I went through the halls. They didn't dare to ask any questions, and I prayed to the goddess that rumors would not circulate. By the time I had gotten to my room and sat on my bed, I realized that I still had the circlet in my hands.