10: Fights Cause Separation

Meghan gasped, covering her mouth with her hands. Ryder seemed to snap out of his immobile state because he stumbled away from the doorway. Carly gasped, more delightedly than Meghan's horrified one, and began moving toward the door, but Gordon quickly grabbed her arm, pulling her back. "No, don't go near them."

"But don't you see?" she said. "They're Santa's reindeer!"

Meghan couldn't look away from the three fawns floating suspended in the air, small trails of gold shimmers rippling the air as they moved. This seemed like something that could be found in a movie. But there it was, happening right in front of her. She didn't look at Carly as she said, "Honey, they can't be Santa's reindeer."

"But they are!" she argued, trying to pull herself out of Gordon's grasp.

"Than what are they doing here?" Ryder challenged.

"I don't know!" Carly snapped, seeming to get angry at not being able to go near them. "Maybe they got separated somehow." She tried to pry Gordon's fingers off of her arm. "Dad, let go!"

"We should call somebody," Meghan said, finally looking at Gordan. A strand of terror threaded through her heart, attaching itself there.

"Like who?" Carly asked in annoyance. "WASART? You already called them! They haven't come yet! But, Mom, maybe they shouldn't, because the fawns are magical! They're Santa's! We should get into contact with him so he knows they're missing."

"Carly, you're ten-years-old!" Ryder snapped angrily. "Grow up!"

Carly gasped again, but that time, tears filled her eyes. She glared at her brother, the tears spilling. "You're just rude! Why can't you believe what is true? You big baby. You should grow up!"

With those words, she clawed at Gordon's hand until he released her. Then she raced into the bedroom and slammed the door behind her. Meghan quickly raced to the door, banging on it. "Carly! Open up! Those fawns could be dangerous!"

"Go away!" she yelled between sobs.

Meghan turned to Ryder who stared at the door wordlessly, guilt showing through his face. "Ryder! You had better apologize."

"No," Carly yelled, her voice muffled. "I don't want anything from him!"

Meghan scowled at her son and gestured for him to approach the door. He trudged over to it. "Carly, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it."

"Just go away!" she exclaimed.

"Carly, open the door," Gordan said, knocking on it again.

"No!"

Meghan groaned. What if the fawns were dangerous? And Carly was inside of the room with them. She turned back to Ryder. "You know what, go to your room too."

"Carly's occupying it," he spat.

"Well, then get out right now!" she snapped. "Now we have this to deal with thanks to you. Go...go on a walk or something!"

Ryder glared at her before turning to Gordon who only nodded sternly. "Fine! Have a good time without me."

An anger she hadn't felt in a long time tried to claw to the surface as she watched him pull his shoes on and yank the apartment door open. "We will!"

He rolled his eyes, saying, "Yeah, sure," before slamming the door behind him.

Meghan turned back to the bedroom door, taking a deep breath, before knocking on it again. "Carly, open the door. We need to talk."

"About what?" she sobbed.

"About a lot of things," Gordon answered. "And it's not safe in there."