1: His Homecoming

The shimmering splendor of lights displayed against the icy window and pristine mantelpiece were nothing compared to the tree propped beautifully in the corner of the room. The bright lights illuminated throughout the dark house, giving the ornaments neatly decorated and hanging off of the small branches of the tree a naturally soothing glow that sent a warm sheen of comfort across Meghan's body. She leaned back against her rocking chair, never having felt so tired and ready for the Christmas holiday to be over – even if it hadn't started yet.

The shuffling of her two children could be heard down the small hallway as they, too, struggled to conquer the alertness that had awoken them. Unfortunately, the house was awake with tension. Not one person slept, and the reason they were deprived of this was because the arrival of Meghan's ex-husband would be upon them shortly. After being deployed for a year in the military, the days had been counted down right up to the circled date on their calendar indicating his homecoming.

Meghan closed her eyes briefly to see if she could hear any trace of life outside the house. A car door, talking, anything to tell her that Gordon had made it home safe and sound.

The sound emanating from the childrens room did not quiet down so Meghan released a soft breath of air and moved to get up. She hoisted herself up from the chair to make her short trek down to the restlessness occurring from the room just steps away from the kitchen. The floorboards creaked gently beneath her feet, reminding her of just how old the house was and how they were saving to get a new one.

"I can hear you two," she warned softly, pressing her lips to the cracks in the door. "Quiet down."

"We can't!" her ten-year-old daughter, Carly, called to the door, a small giggle following her words. "Dad will be here soon! We don't want to miss it."

Meghan smiled and shook her head, adoration for her children warming her heart as she pushed the door open. Carly lied in her bed on the right side of the room, her purple blanket tucked around her body to help fight off the cold. Her brown eyes squinted once the light met them, her face turning away slightly to endure the sting the light flooded into her pupils.

On the left side of the room, her fourteen-year-old son, Ryder, lied sprawled in his bed, the blanket strewn on the floor as his head tilted over the edge of the mattress lazily. He squinted in Meghan's direction but his eyes adjusted quickly, and soon, he was sitting up and settling down against his pillow, his eyes and attention fully trained on her.

Meghan moved into the room, allowing the door to glide halfway shut as she sat on the edge of Carly's bed. Her daughter sat up and scooted toward her to snuggle and dangle her legs over the side.

"I know it is exciting that your father is actually going to be here for Christmas and will arrive any minute now, but you two should go to bed. You'll see him tomorrow and it is already one in the morning," Meghan told her children gently, hugging Carly tightly.

"I promise we won't be tired!" Carly begged, bouncing slightly. "We really want to see Dad!"

"Speak for yourself," Ryder mumbled, rolling to face the wall. Meghan glanced at his messy black hair, her eyebrows furrowing slightly.

"Well, if you don't want to see him, then why are you still awake?" Meghan asked.

"Because Carly won't settle down," he answered angrily.

Carly bit her lip and bowed her head toward her knees. Ever since Meghan and Gordon divorced two years ago before he was deployed, Ryder had had an awful grudge against the man. For the whole time-being of his father's presence, he had shunned Gordon away.

The divorce ended on good terms, and Meghan and Gordon were still good friends with not much awkwardness between them to be solved. At least, that was what Meghan hoped.
Gordon would be spending Christmas with them before leaving to find a home in the state over -- Idaho. Even with two years of separation, the man had not completely disappeared yet. He still acted like a father to the children, and more of a friend toward Meghan.