Gerard 29

"I still feel he needs more-"

        "He's fine," Shaw says, waving a hand at Macy. She doesn't say anything I know she's irritated, even while holding a neutral expression. "His report came back, passing at standard levels. I'm sure more than well enough to work." Shaw sighs, dropping the file on his desk and leaning back in his chair. 

        "But his psych eval is a few points lower than his usual performance," Macy says. I don't say anything, standing still with my hands resting behind me. 

        "It's still in the passing marks," he points out.

        "Yes, but Agent Way has always had high points and now he's-"

        "Still above average," Shaw cuts in. "What do you expect from him mentally? Whatever he's missing, he doesn't need it to be able to shoot straight and fight."

        "Symptoms of PTSD-"

        "Over a sticker," Shaw says. He glances at me. "Are you afraid of a sticker?"

        "Um-" I glance between him and Macy. "No, Director. Just the sound triggered a memory but nothing much."

        "You know," he says, standing up in his chair, and walking around his desk toward me and Macy, "maybe if you listen to a few more sticker-or better yet, get some actual duct tape-we'd be able to recall a bit more from your time with Kelcer."

        He stands in front of me. "With all due respect, I don't believe that'd be a productive idea other than desensitizing me to the sound. There's very little I can provide on the event."

        Shaw chuckles at me. "I was joking, Agent. You're fine and able to work. However, your E.O. thinks otherwise." I glance at Macy and she gives me a worried look. "I'll leave it up to her to decide." 

        "Thank you, Director," I say, stepping out of the room with her. "You're going to make me take more leave, aren't you?" I ask, once the door shuts and we make it over to the squad room. 

        "No," she says. 

        "Wait, you aren't?" I ask, looking at her surprised. 

        She shakes her head. "You have met the standards to return, even if it means your performance is still lower than usual for you. But regardless, you're able to be here. However, you're going to take it easy until your eval is at least closer to what it used to be for you."

        "There's no way I can get it to match again, you know that, right?" I say as we reach the desks. 

        "I know, but 23 points is a lot," she says. "Close it in to 10. I'm having Dr. Frey see you again today."

        "Like the 3-day difference will be that drastic," I say, walking over to my desk. Slightly dusty but everything is as I left it. 

        "It'll show us something," Macy says. "You'll meet with her 1730. And she asks you to eat something on your lunch break this time."

        "I'll think about it," I mutter. I glance over and see the empty desk still. "Where's Brendon? Haven't seen him yet."

        "He will be back," a voice calls out.

        I glance over and smile. "Hey, wheels." Akari rolls over toward me, slowing down at my desk. "Where's he at?"

        "He should be getting back from an investigation shortly," Akari says. "He took the weekend to follow up on his leads in Austria."