Gerard 13

It was dark but I could hear tiny footsteps pit-patting closer along with a heavy set of boots followed by the rustling of sheets in the bed next to me. I turned over on my side, my arm still above my head. One of our instructors tucked her in, taking her arm and placing it above her head as well. The metal clanked against the bed frame for a moment then stopped as they let go. The instructor turned around and walked down the corridor, passing the rows and rows of beds. 

        I waited until they left and could no longer head the heavy boots. "Zoya?"

        "What?" she softly cried. 

        "Where were you?" I asked.

        She whimpered for a moment. "Mother hurt me again." 

        I paused. No friends. No attachments. But I couldn't help but feel sorry for her. She was always kind to me but it was because she liked me. That wasn't allowed either but she confessed anyway. I didn't know if I liked her back. We weren't allowed to. But secrets were fun to keep. Dangerous and life-threatening. And fun. "Mother wants you to get better," I told her. With my free hand, I reached over to her free hand. She looked up at me with teary eyes. "You will be survivor. Promise me you will be one to make it out and return with honor."

        "I don't know if I can-"

        "Yes, you can," I cut her off. I extend my hand further, my other wrist starting to hurt from leaning out of bed so far.  "Promise me."

        With the little light we have, I could see a faint smile form. "I promise," she whispered, taking hold my hand with a squeeze. 

        I snap awake, sharply inhaling. I sit up slowly, looking around the room while taking a slow breath. I am in Elsa's bedroom. I am in Elsa's house in Vienna, Austria. The clock says it's 7:12 in the morning. Saturday morning. I glance around the room. My clothes are on the floor, our shoes in the doorway. Elsa steps out of the bathroom wearing a maroon suit. Elsa. She's my assignment and my cover's girlfriend. I personally don't trust her but she trusts me. For now, I'm safe. Everything is fine. 

        "Guten Morgen, Engel," I say, putting on a smile. 

        "Mmm, guten Morgen," she says back with a happy smile. She steps over toward me and crawls on the bed. I look at her endearingly and she kisses me. "It's still early, darling, you should go back to sleep."

        "Ah, where are you heading?" I ask, tilting my head to the side. 

        She stands back up, straightening out her clothes. "I have to run an errand for work real quick. I don't expect it to take long so I'll be back soon." She leans down and kisses me on the lips and I kiss her back. "Bis bald," she says before stepping out of the room. Her keys jingle as she picks them on her way down the stairs. 

        I lay back down and pulling the sheets up. After a moment, the door squeezes open and slams shut followed by the faint clicking of her locking up. I close my eyes and finally relax. I hate this. I hate this. I can't do this. 

        I know it's better to be me than Brendon but I don't want to do this again. Elsa's gone. I don't know how long I have but I really want to shower right now, get the feeling off me. I can't though. I can shower back at the hotel. I'm just going to have to ignore it the best I can for now. 

        I get out of bed and grab my pants, hastily putting them back on. This is better. I grab my undershirt and pull it over my head. That'll do for now. I go over to the nightstand and grab the cellphone Akari gave me. I start heading down the stairs and turn down the hallway. The only room I haven't really gone in is the one at the end of the hall. I did try to open it once but it was locked.