Frank 22

I slowly stir in my bed, the gentle knocking disturbing me. "Frank?"

        Soft light pours into my room from the living room. "Jen, give me a few," I say, turning over and dropping my head back on my pillow.

        "Frank?" she whispers again, stepping in. 

        She starts shaking my shoulder. "Huh?" I sit up, looking at her. 

        "There's a man asking to see you," she says, pursing her lips together. 

        "Who?" She shakes her hand. I sigh, sitting up. I'm wearing the same clothes from yesterday, I forgot to change so I'm not entirely unpresentable. Although, I can tell my hair is sticking up in all directions. 

        I step out of my room with Jenna, glancing over and seeing a man in the foyer area. He's a few inches taller than me with dark, brunet hair and a clean shave. His features are sharp and he looks rather attractive, a few years older than me. He's dressed nicely as well. Black jacket over the crisp, white shirt. He glances at me and a small smile plays on his face, remembrance in his eyes. "Frank," he says as if he recognizes me.

        "Yeah, hi," I say, slightly confused while walking toward him. "Do I know you?" 

        "Um, I don't think so," he says. He glances at Jenna and smiles at her politely. She glances between the to of us before she steps out and in her room. "My name is Brendon. I'm an...associate of Gerard." My eyes widen and I look at him. "I'm aware you two know each other."

        "Yeah, I mean, yeah, you-we were supposed to meet up yesterday but he never showed...is everything okay?" I ask. Brendon looks at me grimly. "I take it no if you came here to see me." I do my best to keep my voice steady but I know something bad's happened.

        "He's...alive," he says uneasily.

        My heart starts beating faster. Of course, I started thinking of the worse since he came here to see me in person and so early in the morning. But the need to clarify that he's alive worries me even more. "What do you mean? What happened?"

        "He's been in a car accident," he says slowly. I look at him frozen. "He was working late Saturday night and was supposed to check in with the office in the morning but he never came. He was found Sunday evening."

        He was in a car accident? He was missing for so long. What could have happened for him to be missing for so long? How did no one find him sooner? It's a miracle he's still alive. He is alive. "He's okay, then?" I ask, my throat dry.

        "He's a bit delirious still," Brendon adds, "but physically, he's...okay." I nod my head, trying to process this. "He's asked to see you."

        "What?" 

        "He was panicking earlier when he came out of surgery, saying he messed up and needed to see you." My eyes drift down to the floor. God, I'm such an idiot for thinking he didn't care about me for not showing up. What's wrong with me? He was out Saturday night and then didn't find him until Sunday evening. He's been alone, lying in the wreckage for nearly a whole day. And I just assume it was because he didn't care. "If you're wanting to see him-"

        "Yes, anything," I say, looking up at him. 

        Brendon is a bit surprised at my eagerness but I don't care. "I can take you to visit him."

        "Now?"

        "If you'd like," he says.

        I quickly go tell Jenna, enough to explain that I'm heading out to the car. It's a dark grey sedan, looks like a company car as of how sleek and clean it is. We get in, Brendon starts driving.