Part 8

"I'm not gonna be gone for long," Sebastian said as he walked to the kitchen where his folder bag sat on the island top

"I'm not gonna be gone for long," Sebastian said as he walked to the kitchen where his folder bag sat on the island top. Nadine quietly trailed behind. She wore a baby pink long sleeve button up with a white skirt, her feet bare and half her hair pulled back and secured with a clip-on bow. She hopped onto one of the stools at the island as Sebastian shoved files into his bag. He was dressed in a white tee with a black blazer, his dark hair washed and brushed back. Today, he wore glasses. It was the first time Nadine had seen them on him, and she decided she liked the look.

"I just need to swing by work, get a few things done, turn a few things in. Shouldn't be but a few hours, he added and closed his bag. When he turned to Nadine, he exhaled. "You gonna be good alone for a while?"

She leaned against the counter, and her head bobbed up and down. Her amber hair brushed over her shoulders.

"Okay, well then I'll see you when I get back." He grabbed his cage and hiked the strap over his shoulder. When he adjusted his glasses and grabbed his keys, Nadine jumped onto him into another tight embrace.

He hesitated, and then patted her on the head awkwardly. "Um, ok . . ." He gently pressed his hand against her shoulder and peeled her off. She bit her bottom lip with her gapped teeth to hide her smile. "Bye." Sebastian gave her another pat on the head before he turned.

When he opened the door and left, the new security system he installed called out with its robotic voice, "front—door—open."

Nadine stood in the quiet kitchen for a moment. She listened to the distant sound of his car starting up and gravel crunching as he pulled out.

Bored, she decided to go for a tour around the house. Now that Sebastian was gone, she could go through his things. You could always tell what a person is like by their belonging. She went into his bedroom first. Flicking the light on, she stood at the door and scanned the room. It was large and spacious, even with the king size bed and large dresser. On the far wall where the bed faced was two doors, on one each side of the dresser. She went into the first door across her, a walk in closet. When the light flicked on, she ran her hand along the hung up shirts. The styles went from his to hers a third way through, and Nadine found herself shuffling through Sadie's clothes. Whoever this Sadie was, she had a pretty sultry, grown sense of style.

She turned off the light and closed the door. Along the rim of the dresser, she ran her finger against the smooth wood as she walked to the middle and opened a gold jewelry box. An individual small ruby heart caught her eye. Oh! Pretty!

"There you are!" Lydia exhaled heavily in relief as she held the door open for Sebastian who rushed in from the rain.

"Sorry I'm late, traffic," he huffed under his breath.

"Sebastian?" Lydia began.

"Yeah?"

"We live in the same small town. There is no traffic—ever." At least come up with a better lie, her smug grin screamed. "Do you have the final product for Lizzer?"

"Oh, yes," he said with a nod as he reached into his bag and pulled out the file. She took it from his hand and began flipping through.

"Awesome, these are perfect." He followed her into the meeting room when she was filling out papers. Lydia stood, five-feet with long wavy blonde locks. She had fair skin and pale blue eyes. Today, she wore a red silk blouse with a black pencil skirt. She tossed the file onto the desk next to her laptop. When she turned to Sebastian who leaned against the doorframe, she smiled. "So, how are things at home?" Her brows rose suggestively. "With Sadie?"

Sebastian gave a nervous chuckle as he adjusted his glasses. "Things are good. She's good." Oh, Lydia, the small voice in his head began to say, have I forgotten to tell you she left me? Oh, silly me!

Lydia smiled and turned away. She always tried to be nice to Sadie whenever the workplace was involved for Sebastian's sake. But Sebastian always could tell, she didn't care for her in the slightest bit. And he could understand that. Sadie did have a rather particular personality that not a lot of people got. But he did.

Sebastian never realized how much he told Lydia. Not until now, as he felt the burning urge to tell her everything. He wanted to tell her about the break-up and the girl in the woods—to get her advice on how to properly handle things. After all, she was rather brilliant.

But instead, he asked, "How are things with Aiden?" and she sighed heavily.

Nadine doubled over in pain, and the necklace fell from her grip. Her stomach growled violently, and she wrapped her frail arms around it with a grunt. Her eyes shut, and her face screwed up in pain. She waited as the painful cramps rolled in, and then washed away. With her teeth clenched, she peeled her eyes open and peeked at the ruby heart that lay on the carpet—a small drop of blood next to it. But when she blinked again, the crimson stain was gone.

She went into the kitchen and opened the fridge. She grabbed the bowl of grapes and shoved a handful into her mouth. Sighing in relief as she chewed. She glanced at the milk carton. On the side, a vintage-like oil picture of a farm. There were chickens and cows, and even pigs. Her gaze stared fixedly on the little pink demons as she popped another grape into her mouth.

Her sneakers were dirty, covered in mud and grass stains. She sat slumped, her legs dangle over the edge of the back patio, staring off as she lost herself in her thoughts yet again. With her sleeves pulled over her cold hands and balled up in her palms, she gripped the patio edge.

The sky was grim, the clouds grey. The sun was out, but you couldn't see it.

She turned her head when she heard the distant sound of boots approaching from inside the kitchen. The back screen door swung open, and he came storming out before he halted behind her. Nadine peeked over her slim shoulder and watched Daniel's expression as he stared at the field—scattered with large dead pigs lying on their side. Their pink flesh was torn, flies buzzed around each one.

She stayed silent, even when he ripped his hat off and threw it to the ground with a curse. Floured, he stormed back inside screaming out all sorts of profanity.

Nadine turned forward. Her dangling legs swung back and forth.

An abrupt bang in the cabin left her jumping with rounded eyes. But she did not move. She merely tuned out at the growing sounds of his angry outbursts. Things were thrown, shatters were heard. She knew to leave him alone when he was at this stage of rage.

The grey sky rumbled with thunder, and lightning cracked in the distance, striking a gnarled tree.