Part 13

Nadine and Sebastian walked the dirt path through the deep woods

Nadine and Sebastian walked the dirt path through the deep woods. The autumn air was cold, the sky white with fog, leaving Sebastian to practically force Nadine into wearing shoes and a jacket on their walk. She had on a pair of Sadie's mittens wrapped around her small cupped hands as she held Benjamin in her grasp. His head darted at the familiarity of the outside. The distant sound of other birds chirping catching his attention.

Once they reached an open between the trees, Sebastian stopped and let Nadine walk ahead. She stood in the middle and gave Benjamin's small head a gentle pet with her covered thumb. The bird turned to her and then tilted its head.

"Okay, Benjamin," she murmured with a small voice. Her bottom lip wobbling. "You're all better now. You don't need us anymore," the birds head turned again. Nadine sniffled. "Be free," she said as she loosened her grip and held her hands flat for him to stand on. He hopped in the palms of her hands as he head twitched. Then, he jumped up, and his inky black wings sprung out. He flapped and flew up into the sky, disappearing into the sea of trees without hesitation. Eager to be home.

Nadine stared heavenward for a long moment.

Sebastian felt terrible for her, but he didn't know what to do. Hesitantly, he came up and gave her a small pat on the back. He knew this was going to be hard for her. In the short time the bird had been with them, she had gotten close rather fast. Like he was her pet to keep forever. He crouched down, and she suddenly turned and hugged him. Sebastian hesitated, her small arms wrapped surprisingly tightly around him. Uncertainty, he let his hands come down and hugged her back. Nadine tightened her grip as she buried her face into the side of his neck and cried softly.

He let her do this for a moment. Until a cold breeze flew by and Nadine shivered against him. He stood, and she wrapped her legs around his waist, letting him carry her back home.

One week later . . .

Sebastian dropped his keys on the counter top next to the nearly full swear jar Nadine had put up for him. (That had become a problem. He was losing quarters left and right.) He had had a tiring day at work and wanted to unwind. But the moment he walked in, he spotted a mess of crayons and coloring books on the island top in the kitchen. "Nadine?" he called out as he gazed down the stack of mail. "Can you come and clean this mess up please?"

"Okay!" She called out from her room. She was laying on her bed, her delicate arms stood straight up and held the large newspaper open for Nadine to read the funnies. She giggled at one of the comic strips.

"Now please!" Sebastian's voice sounded a moment later.

With a heavy exhale, she slid off the edge off the bed and grudgingly made her way to the kitchen.

She came in a with a scowl on her angelic face. She wore a red noodle-strap polka dot summer dress. Her slim shoulders on full display underneath her long chestnut waves that moved with every movement she made.

"Thank you," Sebastian said teasingly as she put the crayons back in their cart and closed her coloring book. She grabbed the sunglasses that laid along the marble top and yanked them on. Behind the blue tint of the lens, she shot him a petulant glare. Sebastian simply ignored the apparent act and continued shuffling through the envelopes and bills. After a moment, she turned on her feet and marched back to her room.

She closed the door behind her and hopped back on the bed. From underneath her pillow, she reached in and pulled out a cherry sucker. She peeled the wrapper off and licked the hard candy as she gazed out the open bedroom window. A cool breeze blew in, and Nadine leaned into the fresh autumn air. Across the road sat a familiar black van parked in the distance. Nadine licked the sucker as she remembered the last time she'd seen that black van.

It was a little past midnight, and the house was eerily silent. Daniel was asleep in his locked bedroom down the hall, and Nadine was all alone in her room. She laid wide awake in her bed staring up at the ceiling. The only light that came in was from the full moon that hung in the night sky. She had the covered pulled up to her chest, her feeble arms laid over the blankets and fidgeting at her side restlessly. When it was evident that sweet slumber would not be coming for her, she sighed and sat up. She pulled the covered off her legs and moved over by the open window, gazing out dreamingly at the stars in the navy sky. The midnight breeze was warm as it brushed along her face and through her air, filling her room with the earthy smell. The stars twinkled and seemed to almost change colors. Crickets sang in the distance, their familiar melody echoed. With a relaxed smile, her gaze fell, and she found herself eyeing a black van in the range. The windows were tinted and completely black. One was cracked opened, ever-so-slightly, a thick cloud of smoke blew out from inside.

An overwhelming feeling that she was being watched tickled her senses and left chills rolling up and down her spine in waves. Goosebumps washed over her skin. Hesitantly, Nadine reached up and closed her window. Her eyes stayed glued on the van as she flicked the lock and moved back.

Nadine pulled the lollipop out of her mouth with audible 'pop,' and turned away from the window. She laid back down on the mattress. Her long, lithe legs crossed around the ankles on her pillow as she pulled the magazine back up, giggling at the first comic's funny drawing.