CHAPTER 2: Give Me A Sign

Two months later:

Two months later:

In a cozy, brown room, a comatose patient rested without a sound, without a movement, surrounded by beeping monitors. Rosaline entered with a blanket and new towels to replace the old ones on the bed.

As she began gently moving the patient in the light blue pajama to treat any bed sores and remove the old towels, she heard him speak.

"Thank you," Kevin whispered with a scratchy voice.

Rosaline shifted her stormy gaze to the coma patient and said, "Did you say something?"

He turned his head to her and struggled to keep his eyes open. "Thank you."

His movements were slow. The way he turned his head, the way he blinked his half-opened eyes, and the way his lips moved, they were all slow.

"What for?"

Kevin slowly closed his eyes and said, "For taking care of me."

"Do you remember where you are?" Rosaline was surprised that he was conscious enough to make sense this time. "Do you remember me?"

Kevin didn't answer and didn't even move. He just breathed quietly.

Rosaline came closer to his face and called him, gently poking his shoulder, "Kevin?"

Duke came in, casually asking, "Hey, what's going on?"

Rosaline adjusted Kevin's head back to a straight position then stood up and faced Duke. "He drifted back to sleep."

"Oh." Duke stood next to her and observed Kevin's sleepy face. "Why hasn't he came out of the coma yet? It's been two months." He turned to her with a concerned frown and added, "When he woke up last week, I thought it was finally over. What the hell is taking him so long?"

Rosaline sighed. "He's been through a lot. Remember that he survived the last stages of Sepsis. And every patient is different. You of all people should know that."

"I just..." Duke scratched his head and turned to Kevin. "I'm worried 'cause I never had a patient who slept for more than a month unless they're braindead."