CHAPTER 11: The Wailing Woman

The trail on the snow tracked back to Kevin and his companion; a woman with brown skin and long dark hair who was helping him stand on his wobbly feet

The trail on the snow tracked back to Kevin and his companion; a woman with brown skin and long dark hair who was helping him stand on his wobbly feet. The winter coats and boots were their only protection against this freezing night. The moon's glow made the clouds look white and gave them guidance in the dark.

Kevin tumbled down every few steps of the way. His hands turned red from repeatedly falling into the snow. This is a bad idea. His face paled. You're too slow. Panic in his short breaths. He's gonna catch us. Screams at the back of his head. He's gonna skin us alive and it's all because of you!

They were both afraid, horrified, terrified of one man. An unpredictable man who lost every bit of his humanity. A monster. They were running as fast as the snow-filled path would let them, as far away from the monster's den.

Kevin constantly looked back, a feeling in the pit of his stomach made him sick. Was this a good idea? Was it a good plan to escape when his body was still weak from the coma? Shouldn't he have waited a bit longer to recover? To at least be able to walk on his own?

No, Kevin cleared his thoughts. Duke will eventually figure out my amnesia bullshit. This is my chance. He looked at his exhausted companion, her dark curls covering her face. Our chance.

Every time Kevin looked behind him, he would make her look.

"Stop it." She demanded. "He is not following us. It is merely your imagination."

Her voice was strong, but with a hint of a shaky tone in it. Fear got to her too, though she tried her best to hide it. She wanted to be her confident old self again. Her eyebrows had drawn together in a permanent wrinkle. She was tired and frightened, thinking about everything Duke did to her.

"Sorry," said Kevin. "I'm slowing you down."

The woman looked in worse shape than Kevin. A lifeless shell of a once courageous woman. She wore nothing beneath her winter coat. Naked, just as Kevin found her under that house.

Still, something about her gave Kevin authoritative vibes. This was no random lady. She had to be part of something big.

A member of the P&S organization, Kevin speculated. God, I hope not.

"It's fine, kid," she replied with the same emotionless tone of hers. "Let us keep going."

The snow fell lightly above their heads, giving a sense of peace and quiet to the woods. Not the good kind. The kind that felt like something or someone would jump at them at any moment. Spending plenty of time trapped with a psychopath would do that to you, question every little peace you get.

Kevin groaned as he fell again. When the woman tried to help him he pushed her away.

"It's hopeless. Just go," he panted. "Go and get help."