CHAPTER 7: Here Comes Trouble

The morning rays peeked through the curtains, casting a delicate warmth on soft sleepy features

The morning rays peeked through the curtains, casting a delicate warmth on soft sleepy features. His eyelids tightened in slight discomfort before opening to a magical pair of blues like a dancing sky in snowy weather, so bright and pure. The faintness in these eyes told a prolonged struggle that could never be put into words.

His arm slowly elevated then flopped on the sheets, drained of all strength. He winced and tried again, lifting it until his fingers reached for his eyes to rub the drowsiness away.

Every day was a challenge for Kevin. He struggled to wake up, brush his teeth, get dressed, and do every other daily task. Everything took more time, more effort, and left him more exhausted. Frustration built up inside him, especially since he couldn't do any of it without Duke's help.

This morning, Kevin was determined to rise up on his own. All he needed to do was sit up.

"OK." He huffed. "I can do it."

His frail grips squeezed the side rails. He pulled and was able to lift his back for a second before he came down lying on the bed.

He cursed under his breath. I can't even do this lousy little exercise right.

The attempt left him breathless. His muscles weren't only weak, they ached whenever he moved them as if he had just come out of a fight, bruised and sore.

He took a few deep breaths then gripped the side rails once more. He closed his eyes and groaned as he pulled, and pulled, and pulled until he couldn't pull anymore. He opened his eyes, panting, and looked down. A weary smile lit up his face.

"I did it!"

The door clicked, and a worried Duke stepped in. "Are ya alright?" He closed the door behind him and walked toward Kevin. "You sounded like you were in trouble."

"I'm fine. I was practicing, just like you told me."

Kevin's voice was not raspy nor whispery anymore. His speech got better, came out louder and stronger than when he first woke up from the coma.

"Oh, my Lord." Duke grinned as he sat at the edge of the bed. "Look atchu. You sat up all on your own."

Though exhausted and sweat was damping some hair strands that fell on his face, Kevin smiled, and it was the most beautiful smile Duke had ever seen.

"Why do you lock my door?"

The question came out of nowhere, leaving Duke baffled for a moment.

Ever since Kevin got better, Duke felt the need to lock the door, just in case the kid got his memory back and tried to escape. However, Duke would never tell him the truth about the lock. He had to tell a lie, just like all the lies he had told since Kevin woke up.

It was nice having a clueless Kevin. Duke felt like a new page in their relationship was turned, and he wouldn't give it up that easily.

'Oh, he's good,' said a giggling voice. 'You're in trouble now. Hehe. That sweet piece of ass knows.'