Shivers

Pans clicked and chimed echoing through the large kitchen, food sizzled and danced in hot oil soaked frying pans as small bits of grease scattered and flew around carelessly.

The carefree banter exchanged from one staff to the other, small underline whispers that existed just beyond the veil of he normal Earthling, yet to a Kryptonian (Y/n) heard everything with crystal clear precision.

She'd spent all evening trying to ignore them, trying to fight the ever-growing feeling that the walls were closing in on herself and the feeling of being hyper-aware of herself, her chest ached like her heart would stop at any given moment.

(Y/n) sighed impatiently the loudness that usually came from her kitchen was too loud tonight, it was too loud all the time now, people moving around annoyed her and the pressure was becoming far too intense, she'd once thrived on this environment but since she'd returned from the Phantom Zone she'd been finding it very hard.

"What do you mean you are leaving me? Have you been cheating? OMG, you have you've been cheating on me it's that bitch Nina isn't it?"

Whack!

The sound of glass falling and a body falling to the ground, chairs being scraped against the ground pierced through the air, it felt like someone was scraping a knife along her skull.

"My dear you look as beautiful now as when I first met you twenty-five years ago, just perfect."

" Oh, Henry. "

(Y/n) clenched the sharp knife in her hands harder,

"It's fine Cathy she doesn't suspect a thing, she never does she is just so self-absorbed all she thinks about is herself."

" But this feels wrong Matt. "

"How can it be wrong baby? We're in love it's Gabby who is in our way."

The chef bit her lip hard trying to distract herself, as everything was growing on top of her.

"Tonight we are here to celebrate my son Harvey, Harvey what none of us expected was for you to be accepted into the best university in the country, I'm a very proud father."

" Ah, come on Dad. "

"Your mother if she were here today, she would be as proud as I am, and I know wherever she is she's watching us now with a bright smile on her face."

(Y/n) chopped harder, closing her eyes against the rising storm of anxious energy that was building up within her.

"Holy shit that woman just knocked that dude on his ass! Iris where's your phone I'm filming this"

"So Carlos is your Niece seeing anyone?"

" No. "

"You should totally give her my number man."

" And why would I do that? "

"Chef I need more Lobster."

(Y/n) tried to breath.

"Chef." A hand suddenly landed on her shoulder, as though on will the kitchen changed the aroma of food disappeared and all she could smell was the disgusting scent of blood, blood, and dirt that clogged up her throat and stopped her breathing without coughing.

She wasn't in her kitchen anymore the placid voices turned into shrill hateful shouts from an angry crowd eager for blood and death, and she needed to live.