5: QUIRK TEST: NEDZU & AIZAWA

Start from the beginning

He'd shown that he was smart enough to create a distraction when fighting All Might. He'd also revealed a lot of his power and ability. Anyone would've been able to analyse his fighting style and predict what his next logical move was going to be, but with a Quirk that heightened that presumption into almost certainty? That would be difficult to tackle.

So, really, when faced with the probabilities, the only logical thing to do was to be illogical.

The building leaned forwards, finally crumpling under the damage. Izuku let out a yelp, playing up his fear as he tumbled down with it, seeming to regain himself enough to dart out the way at the last second and stand in the middle of the street, leaning crookedly and holding a hand to his dipped head as if he was injured in the fall. He wrinkled his nose in a wince and gritted his teeth, firing up his Quirk with wild eyes and facing the bulldozer head on, fists glowing and hair fluttering in the fluctuating air currents caused by his power.

Izuku waited for a few moments, forcing his expression to appear increasingly desperate, before rushing forwards, feeling the thrum of machinery rattle in his ribcage. The blade started to raise the moment he bent his knees, acting as if he was about to leap towards the cabin, but at the last second he let his eyes flutter shut. His body crumpled over the pile of debris, his Quirk dissipating in a fizz of green sparks. He rolled down the side of the rubble closest to the machine, peeking through his lashes and feeling his heart beat in his ears as the massive tracks rolled closer, unable to stop in time.

The wheeze of machinery indicated the blade lowering back down, and he put his plan into action, powering up One for All to tear apart some of his gym uniform and simultaneously kick off a red shoe as he clung to the bars between the treads of the vehicle, completely concealed. Izuku watched as shreds of blue fabric fluttered down, getting crushed under the bulldozer and hopefully being enough to briefly panic Nedzu before realisation kicked in, which would be the boy's window of opportunity. His ride finally slowed to a stop, shutting down and leaving an overwhelming silence in the absence of the loud engine. A faint click sounded, followed by a patter of frantic, small footsteps.

"...Midoriya-kun?" Nedzu called, worry in his usually serene tone as he moved to check the front of the vehicle. "M... Midoriya-kun?"

He padded around to the back of the bulldozer, choking in a sharp inhale as he noticed the items of clothing, crushed, dirtied, and scattered on the ground. Izuku felt a stab of guilt, but wasn't about to give up his one opportunity that he'd worked hard for. The boy let go of the bars, swinging himself up onto one of the tracks, igniting his Quirk in a triumphant flash and leaping forwards.

Nedzu glanced over his shoulder, but couldn't react in time before he was pressed, face-down, on the concrete. Izuku raised a threatening fist, breathing heavily and grinning.

"I concede defeat," the principal whispered shakily, getting to his feet and brushing off his suit when he was let up. "That was... ingenious, Midoriya-kun. Very cruel, but I can't deny the effectiveness. Once again, you've proved your wits to me. I'm quite impressed."

Izuku found himself bowing briefly, rubbing at the back of his neck when he straightened back up. "A-ah, sorry about that. I couldn't think of a better way to beat you, so I just..."

"No, no, I understand! It was grim and brilliant of you, thinking of a specific way to draw me out. However, I must say it was a rather reckless move that you definitely shouldn't attempt in a real battle," Nedzu admonished, tilting his head and scratching at the scar over his right eye. "Well, we'd better be heading back – I'd imagine Aizawa-kun is impatient for your fight."

They made their way back to the viewing room in a thoughtful sort of silence. The moment Izuku entered, All Might stepped over and lightly smacked his skinny hands down on the top of the boy's head and under his chin, causing his teeth to clack together unpleasantly. Izuku stuck out his painful tongue, rubbing at his hair and squinting up at his mentor with something akin to betrayal in his gaze.